• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 'Tightening Our Belts' - A Short HORROR Film

I enjoyed it. A short chiller, with some over-the-top characters, in the style of "Tales from the crypt"

Reminded me of the film Trick r Treat, which was bad ass. The look and color was spot on for a Halloween flick (great production design). Lots of interesting shots. Especially enjoyed the staircase sequence. The two psychos did a fine job. All in all, solid short

I enjoyed this. One thing i might suggest that will really increase the quality of it is the ADR. Really put a lot of focus into the sound. This is where i struggled because i was by myself. Once my partner came aboard and we started doing our shorts with just the 2 of us he brought a new level to audio and VFX. This really jumped the quality of the videos.

not trying to highjack thread, just showing a comparison.
Old video with just me doing everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWHfMHLYvE0

New video done in 5 days with just 2 people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9J0c9bJwA

Just listen to the audio difference and how much the audio brings to the video.

Hope this helps!

Thank you all for the kind words!

Elitvga,

Thanks for the comparison. What in terms of sound did you feel the film was lacking? I know the score drowns out the majority of the foley work from time to time, but what do you mean by quality ADR? All of the dialogue was captured on location, and we felt that we could avoid doing any post ADR work with the actors. I'm assuming you mean to pay more attention to the foley/effects work. Thanks again.

Jeremy,

You caught me! That film was a huge inspiration to us from the beginning. We really loved the tone that they put forth.

All the audio sounded too upfront. Like it wasn't blended it. Oh, here is the sound of the steps. Here is the sound of the clothes. Here is the sound of hands mixing meat. Maybe work more on the blending the effects?

Alcove Audio would be the best person on this board to explain to you why it sounds odd and might give you an advice or two on how to fix it ;)

Other than that - the video looked great, from what I saw, but it was maybe a bit too dark.

I haven't received much feedback/criticism on the film.
Thats the most difficult part i think - to make people watch it. I feel your pain on that one..

All the audio sounded too upfront. Like it wasn't blended it. Oh, here is the sound of the steps. Here is the sound of the clothes. Here is the sound of hands mixing meat. Maybe work more on the blending the effects?

Alcove Audio would be the best person on this board to explain to you why it sounds odd and might give you an advice or two on how to fix it ;)

Other than that - the video looked great, from what I saw, but it was maybe a bit too dark.

Thats the most difficult part i think - to make people watch it. I feel your pain on that one..

Thanks for the reply, man! I totally agree with you about the sound. Unfortunately, my sound supervisor was extremely unexperienced in this field, and I caught him mixing with key frames in pro-tools on more than one occasion (there was a mixing board right next to him). I'd actually love to find a new sound supervisor to do a total overhaul on the film. Any takers?

As far as the brightness is concerned, my DP (also my editor & colorist) told me that he had never seen his work look so different from monitor to monitor. We did extensive color correction in Colorista, and de-noised it in After Effects. Perhaps this had a negative impact on it's continuity between different computers/monitors.

As others mentioned, great work man.
Besides the audio not having been blended I thought you did great.

Was I the only who thought that the woman looked like a little girl while running after him? I don't know why but I thought it was the couple's daughter or something. Like the height difference wasn't there...

As others mentioned, great work man.
Besides the audio not having been blended I thought you did great.

Was I the only who thought that the woman looked like a little girl while running after him? I don't know why but I thought it was the couple's daughter or something. Like the height difference wasn't there...

Thanks man! Haha...you're definitely the first to make that observation. The boy we cast in the role is the exact same height as "Kitty", so that's probably what you're noticing.

Back