• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Throw Me to the Dogs - Danny Boyle award-winning short film

Hello everyone,

I'm very excited to finally be able to share my short film Throw Me to the Dogs which has just completed a year long run on the festival circuit. The film is inspired by my childhood growing up in Northern England, was made for about £900, street-casted and entirely improvised.

The film won Danny Boyle's Young Filmmaker award at his festival in London.

I made the film as part of my second year at university, and would really appreciate any comments, criticisms or advice.

Thanks very much!

https://vimeo.com/153044501

CZ54pR-WAAAe6ns.jpg:medium

Throw Me to the Dogs

A troubled teenage boy, growing up in a dreamless wilderness and isolated from those around him, is stripped of his dignity as his father abandons him for the outside world which he is trying to retreat from.

• BFI Future Film Festival - Nominated 'Best Director' (UK, Feb 2016)

• London Short Film Festival (BAFTA qualifying) - Official Selection (UK, Jan 2016)

• 60th Cork Film Festival (BAFTA & Oscar® qualifying) - Official Selection (UK, Nov 2015)
• Aesthetica Film Festival (BAFTA qualifying) - Official Selection (UK, Nov 2015)

• 18th CortoLovere Film Festival - Winner ‘Best Picture’ (Italy, Sep 2015)

• Shuffle Festival - Winner ‘Young Filmmaker’ judged by Danny Boyle (UK, Aug 2015)
• 45th Giffoni Film Festival - Official Selection (Italy, Jul 2015)

Last edited:
it was very british, I liked it, lacked in some areas for me, I didnt see anything that innovated, just executed rather well.

congrats anyway im sure you have a bright future ahead of you.

it was very british, I liked it, lacked in some areas for me, I didnt see anything that innovated, just executed rather well.

congrats anyway im sure you have a bright future ahead of you.

Thanks a lot for your comments, really appreciate that! Your points are very true - it's definitely hard to be innovative, especially in this genre, but I'm working on it! Nice one.

Congrats. I've seen this a couple of times now and bizarrely, it's doing the rounds in places outside the film making community. In the 'real world,' outside of film makers, there are people out there watching and enjoying it which I think is more than us dumb film makers commenting on it.

Congrats and looking forward to seeing more from you.

I loved it!

At first I wasn't liking it much due to the drawn out set up but when I hit the end the drawing out felt like it really added to the story and made the ending extremely extraordinary. I really liked it and feel like you have an enormous amount of potential. One day I believe you will be the next Danny Boyle. With other people saying that it's very British, I personally love the movies of the British so I think you should continue with this. Everything in this film felt correctly placed due to it all building up to the ending, and I wouldn't change any of it. I rated you a 10/10 on IMDB, continue making films. I'm surprised that Danny Boyle saw it though, that's gotta be pretty cool especially since he loved yours. The film itself reminded me of 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later in my opinion. Anyway yeah, keep on keeping on, I hope you have good luck in the future and I believe you'll definitely succeed and may one day be a big name. Good luck.

The fighting/tussling scenes seemed off. As if everyone were avoiding the camera.

The story was too abrupt for me. Broken window, BOOM, soccer team.

Other than the shakey-cam, I thought it looked nice.

Love it!

I come from the north of England too and love Danny Boyle's work so was particularly interested to see this. It gave me the creeps as I remembered the bleakness of life there - at least for me although I know people who enjoy it.

This story is really interesting and I feel it'd make a great television series. I love the ironies in it that are so British, like the football referee smoking on the pitch and letting the kids have a puff. Great cliffhanger - would love to see what happens next.

I disagree with some of the above - particularly about being innovative. I don't honestly know whether this is innovative or not, but who cares? You have an intriguing, quirky story that I feel would be an eye opener to a lot of people, so why put anything 'innovative' in there if it's not in there already? There's nothing new under the sun.

I agree with those above in that I'm sure you have a great future.

Well done mate!

Last edited:
Back