• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Three of my very short experimental films: Please review :)

Here are three of my short films i have made over the past year.
They each are very short and not very good. Each took me about 1-2 hours to make.
Please review and give as much constructive criticism as possible, Because i need it.
Remember THESE FILMS WERE ONLY TESTS AND EXPERIMENTAL. I mostly made them to try out different camera angles, lighting etc.

Birthday song and dance (made for my sisters birthday)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DyoymfYHpY

Is there anybody out there?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YntABSgoLo&feature=related

Horror experimental film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEZBricRmtY&feature=related

Im pretty new to film making and i really need to get better so any tips or hints will be appreciated :)
I am currently in the process of writing a script for a film i am beginning around the end of may so any advice would be very helpful.

Sam Hammond

Hey Sam,

First let me say that I think it's great that you actually took the time to experiment. Many amateur film makers don't. Much like acting, singing, writing, any art form, you must practice. So you are starting off definitely on the right foot.

Suggestions I would say, would be too make sure you know what you are going to shoot, before you shoot it. Have an understanding of the story, what is the point of why we are watching what we are watching. That's why studio's and production companies, are always on the lookout for a new story. It's all about the story. What separates you as a director, writer, DP, etc., is your style. What you bring to the table.

Some more technical suggestions, watch your lighting, sound, and camera movement. That camera lens is what we see. Be extremely careful how you manipulate the camera. What you choose to show us. As this is how you tell the story. The writer, actor, director, even lighting professional, all have their rolls with how the story will be told. Coming together with a common goal of HOW it will be told, and then shot, acted, displayed on the screen, is the overall goal.

Take your time. How quickly you do something really doesn't matter. Some people get so consumed with how quickly they can create their film, or write their stories. Who cares. As long as it's good. Everyone with a camcorder thinks that they can just pick it up, and Voula! They are directors. There is a defined process which creates what you see on the screen. Get to know each of the processes intimately. Don't be afraid to stick your nose into everything, direction, acting, writing, lighting, sound, etc.

Again, just the fact that you took the time to create these pieces, and put them up on YouTube, shows that you do have a passion for this. Good for you! Keep it going! With a commitment and dedication to the process and the work, you're bound to only get better. Bravo!

Richard
www.oneclickfilms.com

Last edited:

Hey Richard,

Thankyou so much,
You have really changed the way i look at my films and how much time and care i should take on them.
Thankyou very much.
I will be sure to use all the tips in my film im making this summer, and i will make sure i take my time on it!
I have one question though

I really want to improve the sound of my films, any mics etc i can get for a reasonable price that will work well that you know of? :)

Anyway thanks again for the reply,
I really do have a passion for film making, and i feel that the motto "learn from your mistakes" is my new thing :P I shall take what i didnt do in these films and apply that to my next films and carry on like that.
Thanks again man
Take care
Sam Hammond

Hey Sam, no problem.

Microphone wise, at this stage in the game, I really wouldn't worry about exactly what microphone would be best, especially with working with a low budget. Do your research. Find out the differences between a shotgun mic, condensor mics, etc. I say this because, one microphone isn't necessarily going to suit every situation. Try not to rely on certain technologies. It's nice to have a certain camera you like working with, or mics, lens, filters, etc. But technology is always changing and updating, you want to keep your options open. Plus, and this is most important, sometimes it's the simple things that work out the best. You don't always need the best equipment to get the effects you need.

I would suggest also spending time learning about the different software options out there. Adobe AfterEffects is absolutely amazing! You can do almost anything with that software. I have a background in Print, Web Design, and Multimedia, and believe me, I can do things in AfterEffects that would blow your mind. Check these guys out (http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html), really useful tutorials for AfterEffects, and FREE! Amazing visuals.

But again, these are just the tools of the trade. Learn these tools, but also work towards what it is you want to do in the process. Produce, act, sound man, camera man, etc. Find out where your interests are by continually experimenting. Keep making your films. Continue to write stories. Develop stories, as this is the bread and butter of the movie industry. If you don't have a great story, why bother watching your film.

In closing, regarding your initial question about mics, again research what's out there. Do a story board of what it is you want to shoot, so you can have an idea of what mics you will need. THEN do your research regarding the different microphone options out there, and what you will need. Lighting and Sound are EXTREMELY important to a film. And what I'm learning, is sound is actually MORE important than anything else. The Blair Witch Project illustrates this fact. Filmed simply with 16mm film, there were several qualities that made this film great. The story, the acting, and especially the sound. These three key components were what made this movie earn an estimated world wide sales of I believe the last quote was $230 million or something, on a simple budget under $100k. If even close to that budget. I heard tell it was done for about $15k. Point being, that if the sound or story wasn't up to par, that film would have just been some cheesy film the film students snipped together in a back room somewhere. But they were savvy enough to know the importance of good sound, story, and acting.

One of my choices shotgun mic wise that I've had good luck with is this:
- Azden SGM-1000 Shotgun Microphone (around $220) with the Windcutter Fur (around $40).

I hope this helps. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!! :)

Cheers,
-Richard
www.oneclickfilms.com

Last edited:
Back