• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Thoughts on using tripod boom stand instead of boompole

I have a short I am filming and struggled enough to get my 3 actors on board for the project, and am trying to figure out the best way to do the audio. I have a shotgun mic mounted on top of the camera but don't want to rely on that as I have a Rode NTG-1 I want to use as a boom mic, but don't have anyone to hold a boompole, and don't want to leave the camera while filming.

What are people's thoughts on buying a tripod boom like this instead of trying to hold the boompole myself and film.

Just FYI, I don't have lav mics and at this time I won't be able to get any, so any thoughts you have on using a Rode shotgun mic set on a static tripod boom would be great.

As I have said many times, when the mic is going to be static - that is, motionless in one place - a shotgun is a poor choice. A cardioid of some sort would be better.

That being said…

You need height and you need reach. You need to get the mic somewhat in the position it would be if a boom-op were holding it. That means above the talent (stand height), then you get the mic in as close as you can without being in the shot (boom length). I would go modular; get the 9' stand and a separate boom arm/pole ( at least 9') with an appropriate adapter. Only a few $$$ more and will probably do a better job for you.

I hope that your subjects aren't moving around much…...

As I have said many times, when the mic is going to be static - that is, motionless in one place - a shotgun is a poor choice. A cardioid of some sort would be better.

That being said…

You need height and you need reach. You need to get the mic somewhat in the position it would be if a boom-op were holding it. That means above the talent (stand height), then you get the mic in as close as you can without being in the shot (boom length). I would go modular; get the 9' stand and a separate boom arm/pole ( at least 9') with an appropriate adapter. Only a few $$$ more and will probably do a better job for you.

I hope that your subjects aren't moving around much…...

I get what you're saying about using a cardioid instead of a shotgun, particularly since this is dialogue (though half will be shot indoors half will be shot outside).

So what do you recommend is the best way to do this - Should I frame the shot, hit record and hold an actual boompole? Or use a boom tripod like the one I linked? Surely I can't be the first person shooting without a dedicated sound guy.

What I'm saying is to block the shot, and then get the mic in as good a position as you can, using the stand and the boom. You'll have to change the position for each new shot.

Your best option is to find someone to swing the boom for you.

It can absolutely be done, providing there's not a whole lot of movement among the actors. Although I'm usually the ADR guy, I actually did this myself with an AT875R and a mic stand. It was a spontaneous short where I was both running camera and acting by myself. The dialogue actually sounded pretty good, so I think you'll be okay if you're careful. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
I've done it. Although the "boom stand" i use is different.

I have a c-stand with an adaptor for a real boom pole.
That way it's all equipment i can re-use in other scenarios. I can still use the boom pole like normal. I can use the c-stand or other stuff. It's multi-functional.

In my scene they were standing at a table for a shot that would take hours. So theres no way in hell i was going to just hold a pole in exactly the same place for hours straight. There are times it makes complete sense to put it on a stand instead .

I get what you're saying about using a cardioid instead of a shotgun, particularly since this is dialogue (though half will be shot indoors half will be shot outside).

So what do you recommend is the best way to do this - Should I frame the shot, hit record and hold an actual boompole? Or use a boom tripod like the one I linked? Surely I can't be the first person shooting without a dedicated sound guy.

Do you plan on moving the camera on any shots? If not, and you just plan on having a static camera, I say just hit record, and pick up the boom, unless you have to pull focus at any time of course. If so, or if you want movement, then put the boom on a stand, as long as the actors don't move around much.

Back