Thoughts on using the RODE NT-5 and Other Audio Inquiries

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on the Rode NT-5. I was thinking of getting one to record dialogue for the short film I'm doing. I've only got no more than a couple hundred to drop on audio equipment unfortunately... Let me know if you have any suggestions. Also, how well would the Rode NT1-A work for recording my dialogue?
Thanks!

I take it that you have a music background. Sound-for- picture, including production sound, is very different than music. Different tools and a different mindset are required. I know, I made the transition myself.

I'll just cut-and-paste here:

As I have mentioned in many posts on the forums there are, at the moment, too many variables for me to give you a substantive answer. Is this a hobby or do you want to be a serious filmmaker? Will it be camera mounted or will someone be swinging a boom? How experienced are they at swinging a boom? Are you plugging directly into the camera (and what kind of camera) or are you using a separate recording device? What will be your primary locations? How are you planning on monitoring the audio? Who will be monitoring the audio?

As always I recommend retaining someone with the gear and the experience. Besides getting much better sound it's something you don't have too worry about when on-set. If that isn't feasible, consider renting.

When I google RODE NT I get...

;)

Attachments

• rat.jpg
    rat.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 100
I take it that you have a music background. Sound-for- picture, including production sound, is very different than music. Different tools and a different mindset are required. I know, I made the transition myself.

I'll just cut-and-paste here:

As I have mentioned in many posts on the forums there are, at the moment, too many variables for me to give you a substantive answer. Is this a hobby or do you want to be a serious filmmaker? Will it be camera mounted or will someone be swinging a boom? How experienced are they at swinging a boom? Are you plugging directly into the camera (and what kind of camera) or are you using a separate recording device? What will be your primary locations? How are you planning on monitoring the audio? Who will be monitoring the audio?

As always I recommend retaining someone with the gear and the experience. Besides getting much better sound it's something you don't have too worry about when on-set. If that isn't feasible, consider renting.

Yes, I do come from more of a music background. I'm definitely a serious filmmaker, but also a high school student right now. So my budget for equipment reflects accordingly. I have a very rudimentary experience of audio dealing with dialogue for a film, so any tips are greatly appreciated. Whatever can get me the most bang for my buck essentially. At this point in time, I'll probably be dealing with all the audio myself.

Start here:

2014-12-23-RicViersLocationSoundBible.jpg

It's an introduction to the world of sound-for-picture in general and production sound in particular.

When recording music in a studio setting mics (and pres) are chosen for their "sound." When recording production sound the idea is clean and dry; as little outside noise saw possible and no radical sound coloration.

You probably should look at the Rode VideoMic, assuming you are using a DSLR. It's pretty basic, a bit heavy and clunky, but sounds okay and the build is okay. The "Pro" version is smaller & lighter and has a higher output gain. The "Go" version is cheaper; haven't heard much about it, yet. Look around for gently used as well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917425-REG/rode_videomic_r_videomic_with_rycote_lyre.html

The first thing you want to do once you have any opportunity at all is to get the mic off of the camera. So get a boom-pole and perhaps coerce an audio buddy to swing it for you; maybe barter something. Maybe your school AV Dept. or film club has some gear you can borrow.

There's lots of good stuff about production sound here on the forums; just use the search function.

Start here:

It's an introduction to the world of sound-for-picture in general and production sound in particular.

When recording music in a studio setting mics (and pres) are chosen for their "sound." When recording production sound the idea is clean and dry; as little outside noise saw possible and no radical sound coloration.

You probably should look at the Rode VideoMic, assuming you are using a DSLR. It's pretty basic, a bit heavy and clunky, but sounds okay and the build is okay. The "Pro" version is smaller & lighter and has a higher output gain. The "Go" version is cheaper; haven't heard much about it, yet. Look around for gently used as well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917425-REG/rode_videomic_r_videomic_with_rycote_lyre.html

The first thing you want to do once you have any opportunity at all is to get the mic off of the camera. So get a boom-pole and perhaps coerce an audio buddy to swing it for you; maybe barter something. Maybe your school AV Dept. or film club has some gear you can borrow.

There's lots of good stuff about production sound here on the forums; just use the search function.

Appreciate the feedback. I use a Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera.

Start here:

This may be a stupid question :lol: . SO I could just buy the Rode VideoMic with Rycote Lyre Suspension System https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/917425-REG/rode_videomic_r_videomic_with_rycote_lyre.html , and put it on a boom pole to use for recording audio for my film?

Back