Those with distribution deals

Learning about the business aspect of this craft. Just wondering who has ever gotten a distribution deal on their film, and what were your experiences like before and after the deal?

I have a film released via traditional distribution in 14 countries. I'm gonna need a little more specific question than what were my experiences. I had a lot of various experiences related to the process, too numerous to mention vaguely.

I've had one picked up. What do you need to know in particular?

Fwiw, I wanted to self-distribute but my 3 partners insisted on the traditional route. (Partners were more interested in getting "exposure", whatever they thought that meant.) They all agree now that we'd have made our money back if I'd have set it up myself, but oh well.

What is the name of the film that was picked up by a distributor?

6729265_155347.jpg

Zombies of War in the UK
Dead Man Soldiers in Japan
Horrors of War in the U.S. and other territories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAJw33WplnU

I haven't done it (yet), but getting traditional distribution (based on my research) is usually garnered through a combination of name actors, genre/target audience (that appeals to a given distributor), and success at high profile festivals.

If you have all three you have a good shot, some level of any of the three and you have hope, none of the three and you better start figuring on self distribution.

Distributors cut tough deals because they are taking a lot of risk.

Back