Third lense

I already have 2 lenses:

1. THE ORIGINAL LENSE THAT CAME MY 550D (18-55 IS KIT)
2.CANON EF 50/1.4 USM

What would be a good third lense?

Something "longer". You have a wide and a "normal" in the kit lens. The 50mm becomes a medium telephoto on the APS-C sensor. What's missing is a longer telephoto. On that camera something in the 85 to 105 range. I think Canon makes a fairly fast 85mm in the same price range as your 50.

50mm on APS-C isn't enough for closeups ?

I'd say don't buy anything and save the money until you feel like you need something. That 18-50 is enough in terms of range for a whole movie.

And the Tokina is so expensive... I'd love to get it too.

50mm on APS-C isn't enough for closeups ?

I'd say don't buy anything and save the money until you feel like you need something. That 18-50 is enough in terms of range for a whole movie.

And the Tokina is so expensive... I'd love to get it too.

It's a medium telephoto. FOV of an 85mm (or so) on a full frame. To get a single of someone's face filling the whole screen you're going to have to be right in their grill. Also, the longer you go the shallower the DOF gets which looks very good in closeups.

Hmm. I hear a lot of good things about the Sigma 10-20 but I don't know how it does in video mode. It only costs around 400 or so (I think).

It might look the same as your kit lens.

I'd go with Gonzo's advice. You're not going to find a quality wide angle for less than $800.

@OP: I would recommend you go a little longer first before going wider so i second the 85mm.

@The Artist: No, the 50mm isnt long enough on APSC sensors. It's about how it looks, not just about getting close enough to fill the persons face in the frame. If you shoot with a longer lens from a longer distance, the compression and look are much more flattering. That's the reason you'll sometimes see fashion photographers use 135mm and even longer in their portraits or headshots when they couldve just used an 85mm and moved closer.

Ok. So I`ve decided!
My two lenses will be:

Tokina 11-16mm ( ipresume its the f2.8) for aprox. 600 euros
Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS II for 199 euros from my local electronics store.
Does every one agree?

So for my first (short) film my lenses will be:
2.CANON EF 50/1.4 USM
3. Tokina 11-16/ 2.8
4. Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS II

Is that enough? Am i being anal?

Does every one agree?

Don't ask us that - go and find out for yourself.

I personally think you should just start shooting and figure out what you need from experience of the style you want to shoot rather than trying to put it down on paper.

Like some people have said, they favor one lens than another, but that's true for them. Not you... There are countless ways to shoot a scene and not necessarily a RIGHT one - just different styles. I'd figure out my style first.

I'd shoot with your kit lens for this project first without throwing down a bunch of money on another lens until you know what focal length you like the most.

Then put your money into a very professional lens of that length.

Ok. So I`ve decided!
My two lenses will be:

Tokina 11-16mm ( ipresume its the f2.8) for aprox. 600 euros
Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS II for 199 euros from my local electronics store.
Does every one agree?

So for my first (short) film my lenses will be:
2.CANON EF 50/1.4 USM
3. Tokina 11-16/ 2.8
4. Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS II

Is that enough? Am i being anal?

As ROC said, what's right for you is not what's right for everyone. The lenses you've listed there are hugely versatile in terms of focal length - you've got almost every mm covered from 11mm (ultrawide) to 250mm (super telephoto on APS-C).

Personally, I went in the other direction and (aside from the kit lens) have only bought primes - for what I shoot, I decided low light ability was more important than focal range. The best choice is whatever is most useful for you :)

I made a feature film that picked up a few awards and got into a dozen or so festivals with the one damn lens that came with the camera. The $800 you save will buy a heck of a lot of marketing. That's my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Back