The topic of being Organized

I have been getting more organized lately, almost to the point it is kind of a bit too organized, but I am noticing major differences overall. What is a good balance lol? Can you be overly organized and creative at the same time? I can think of some examples of people who appear to be slobs as their image, but are actually super organized in their craft. They are entertainers selling a false image or whatever as their product...
----

“For every minute spent in organizing, an hour is earned.”​

― Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for any thoughts in how you handle your workflow/balance etc :)

Last edited:
Personally, I'm super organized. I find the above quote to be accurate. Organization and structure just pays off big time in the long run, and I don't really think that it's a choice between being creative and organized. I simply organize creativity as it happens, and then in the future it's far easier to reference or use.

Where organization really pays off though is when working with a team. You may remember where you left something, but the next guy won't, so filing, notation, searchable databases, etc, are a big deal when it comes to cooperative endeavors.

Last edited:
When I had my studio, it was incredibly organized, and I worked hard to keep it that way. My personal life was/is also organized, and I stick to a strict schedule. This way, when the 'creative frenzy' hits me, or a sudden impulse to have some fun, or an emergency crops up, everything is where I want it to be.

I am, pathologically I think, disorganized. It's almost willfully passive-aggressive, although why, and from and toward who, I can't figure out.

Anyway, I like the whole Marie Kondo program; it is, to me, inspiring. But Christ, it is a massive undertaking. And anything short of this--a transformation of my existence--seems inadequate.

Like anything, I suppose, the only reasonable approach is incrementalism.

Anyway, I envy you all. :)

Last edited:
There was a study a while ago comparing offensive linemen and defensive linemen (American rules football). The offensive linemen, who are charged with protecting the quarterback, have lockers that are very neat. The defensive linemen, whose job is to pound the QB into the ground, tend to have very messy lockers.

A place for everything and everything in its place. That's very important. A file system that works for you will always be your best friend. For your computer work, get use to making folders then sub-folders, then sub-sub-folders. Example: Get your movie scripts and stories and ideas together. Make a folder called Word Documents. Inside that, make a folder called Movies. Inside that have one folder for scripts, one for stories, and one for ideas. That's how I do it and it really pays off when you're looking for things. You don't have to look far.

For things like books and DVDs, I have spreadsheets that I use to keep track of everything. My books are cataloged and searchable by Author, title, then bookcase, then shelf.

A place for everything and everything in its place. That's very important. A file system that works for you will always be your best friend. For your computer work, get use to making folders then sub-folders, then sub-sub-folders. Example: Get your movie scripts and stories and ideas together. Make a folder called Word Documents. Inside that, make a folder called Movies. Inside that have one folder for scripts, one for stories, and one for ideas. That's how I do it and it really pays off when you're looking for things. You don't have to look far.

For things like books and DVDs, I have spreadsheets that I use to keep track of everything. My books are cataloged and searchable by Author, title, then bookcase, then shelf.
I listened to an audiobook by Dan Charnas

Work Clean: The Life-Changing Power of Mise-en-Place to Organize Your Life, Work, and Mind​

and I have applied many of the concepts, but to follow it fully...you have to be some kind of superhuman IMO lol...maybe I am overthinking it all, but it is true, like you said "everything in its place" is the key to organization.

Last edited:
I am, pathologically I think, disorganized. It's almost willfully passive-aggressive, although why, and from and toward who, I can't figure out.

Anyway, I like the whole Marie Kondo program; it is, to me, inspiring. But Christ, it is a massive undertaking. And anything short of this--a transformation of my existence--seems inadequate.

Like anything, I suppose, the only reasonable approach is incrementalism.

Anyway, I envy you all. :)
You were saying earlier that you keep loosing your vapes. This is the answer here. E.G. I own 4 vapes, they are in 1 of 3 places, charging, vape box in office, or in pocket. Since these are the ONLY places I ever put them down, I've literally never lost one even for an hour, in years.

The sloppy alternative is to just keep buying vape batteries until you hit a saturation point where they just appear out of nowhere any time you flip a sofa cushion. That was the first method I tried.

Honestly, both methods work.

Back