top-list The Top 10 movies that made you decide to get into filmmaking

Not sure exactly where this list came from; it seems almost free-associative, but I kind of like it. (And kind of like lists in general, lol)

Slaughterhouse Five
The Exorcist
Shakespeare in Love
Manhattan
E.T.
No Country for Old Men
Alien (no s )
Dr. Strangelove
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Harvey

Last edited:
Not sure exactly where this list came from; it seems almost free-associative, but I kind of like it. (And kind of like lists in general, lol)

Slaughterhouse Five
The Exorcist
Shakespeare in Love
Manhattan
E.T.
No Country for Old Men
Alien (no s )
Dr. Strangelove
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Harvey
Since you're a fellow Kubrick fan also, I'll recommend his underappreciated masterpiece "Barry Lyndon". It's not anyone's favorite movie of all time, but it's a unique work of art that you just couldn't get out of a modern director. Insurance companies will no longer let you light a set full of curtains with 1700 actual burning candles.

Will do. I began it once but wasn't in the mood, and kind of gave up. But I've always thought I should go back. (Same, by the way, with, for some reason, Magnificent Ambersons.) I do remember the Mad Magazine parody, mainly for the title: "Borey Lyndon" lol.

Will do. I began it once but wasn't in the mood, and kind of gave up. But I've always thought I should go back. (Same, by the way, with, for some reason, Magnificent Ambersons.) I do remember the Mad Magazine parody, mainly for the title: "Borey Lyndon" lol.
It's..... slower paced than modern audiences are used to. It just has it's own specific mood that throws a lot of people off. I thought it was a brilliant character sketch of one of humanity's more ubiquitous archetypes.

Back