• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Title - It Bears Similarity

I've been writing something lately, but i had'nt come up with a title yet... Then i read an article and i really liked the title, and thought it would be good. And let's say the ultimate topic of the article does have something to do with the script but not in detail. EXAMPLE: lets say the title of the article is: "On Skating In Parks With Friends."

...(i want to take off the "On." Could i get in trouble for using a similar title (almos identical) for s script with a same topic as the article?

P.S: for those of you who think the example i gave isnt an example, and is the actual thing, your wrong. And those of you that think i just said that because it atually is the same thing and i just want to make you think it isnt, your wrong. Ha.

Titles cannot be protected, so you could name your film Titanic and there is no problem. If you rip off non public facts from the Titanic story then you could have problems. That said, seek as original of a title as you can.

Though a title can't be copyrighted, you're kind of waving a red flag at a bull - expect to have the copyright holder of the article tear your script apart in court for similarities... so make sure there aren't *any*.

The thing about titles - they are your whole story summed up in 2-3 words. So you really want to take the time to make sure you have the best title for your script.

- Bill

PS: "your" vs. "you're".

Last edited:
Back