The Sony A99 - Full Frame SLT Camera

Sony just announced their new digital camera, it's the world's first digital, full frame camera with a pellicle mirror. Instead of flipping up to block the eye piece and expose the sensor, it's two way glass so the sensor and optical viewfinder can see through the lens simultaneously.

a991.jpg

Only $2800 (compared to Canon's $3500 for competing 5DmkIII), in addition to taking 24mp images, it does video at full HD 1080 resolution at 24 AND 60fps. That's pretty cool. Also, it sports simultaneous full HD output via HDMI and on camera digital viewfinder so if you want to skip the AVCHD (what every DSLR currently shoots in) you can record to an external recorder in ProRes or whatever.

Seems like a cool camera, can't wait to play with it!

WAAAY more details:
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/11/sony-unveils-the-a99-durable-portable-and-loaded-with-a-pellicle-mirror/

Sony really has the jump on the Panasonic GH3 (clean, recordable HDMI out; 1080/60p; headphone jack; articulated LCD). None of the other video-capable full frame cameras (5DII, D600, D800) has all four features on that list. Guessing that Sony has also dealt with the moire problem with the new BIONZ processor (as Canon dealt with it with the 5DIII's new DIGIC).

I would think seriously about getting one as a full frame complement to my GH2 - instead of upgrading to the GH3 - if it has unlimited video clip length.

Otherwise - sorry, Sony, but I'll be staying with Panasonic :)

Last edited:
Yeah it looks good for sure. I'm curious to see the footage when it comes out, especially how it compares to noise in low-light situations to the 5DmkIII. The 5DmkIII blows the GH2 out of the water in pretty much everything but a hacked bit rate, though it is 4-5 times the price haha.

This Sony could be a game changer, it's supposed to be a pretty versatile mount too, so it's easy enough to adapt whatever glass you already have.

There will be a 7DmkII in a few months, while not full frame it'll hopefully match most of these other features and take video to the next step like the original 7D did on it's release.

The samples from the A99 are looking really good - I get the feeling that this is the first DSLR truly designed with video use as a major component, rather than a secondary functionality to still shooting. Haven't seen any low-light samples yet - I know the translucent mirror cuts some of the incoming light, not sure how much that will impact it. The other thing I'm interested in is the level of image control they provide in camera - some of their recent video cameras (VG20/30 and possibly the new VG900 too) are crippled with essentially no manual picture profile controls. I'm really hoping they haven't done the same with this one.

You can download an MTS file from the camera here: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-first-a99-full-size-raw-image-samples-at-quesabesde/

Honestly... from the two videos, both the VG900 and A99 look really.. unpleasant. This clip just reaffirms that for me.

I was hoping for a nice Full Frame image this year, but the underwhelming image of the MKIII, now this and likely the Nikon D600 leaves me sitting waiting for my Magic Cam preorder, and likely an early GH3.

Oh well. Maybe next year.

By the way, the GH1 was the first SLR with video in mind. Not DSLR though, technically. =P

Back