• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Pushing Daisies Look

Student film-maker here, and I'd like to get as close as I possibly can to the overall look of television show Pushing Daisies. (It's kind of hard to describe it; if you're not familiar with the show, it would be best if you just saw it.)

How would I go about doing that with a college-student budget and in a normal-sized bedroom? The camera I use is a Canon HV30 w/ a Jag35st+achromat; as for lighting, I'm going the hardware-store route, but I can get a softbox kit if need be. Basically, the camera settings and lighting are the parts I need help with the most, although if anyone can provide input on the post-production aspect, that would be great (I have Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5.)

@Rik: That would be an awesome set to work, do you mind if I ask what they shoot that show with? I'm curious as the look seems pretty similar to an HDX-900 skewed a touch with a warm card. (been doing this on a show where I AC) I would think though they are playing with a bigger budget and not 2/3" format. OTOH, it is TV.
I think Weaver was shooting film.

I was on the next door set when I walked over to
their sets. They were on location. But I recall seeing
the camera truck outside a few times and I remember
Panavision boxes.

Thanks Rik. I don't know anything about the show, but had a feeling (based on the set deco in that screen grab) they had a fairly substantial budget. I love that there are still series that shoot 35mm.

Come to think of it, I think there was an American Cinematographer article about this show.. hold that thought:

Seems to have been Nov. 2007, but can't find an online version of the article.

Back