The People vs. 3D

Here in Germany, a lot of cinemas want you to pay about 2 Dollars for the 3D glasses which you have to GIVE BACK to them after the movie.
Sure, because most people tend to not give them back and it would be too complicated to give the money back to the ones, who do return them. The cinema here lets you decide to bring your own or buy the glasses, which you can keep then. Fair deal, I think.

I have seen Cars 2 and Prometheus in 3D. Cars was fun, Prometheus was poor. Both would be the same without 3D. I think that no movie really needs 3D. If it helps some theatres to survive, fine. But I hope that they will still offer the 2D version for the most movies.

Absolutely incorrect; if most people hated 3D they would not go to see 3D movies. The number of 3D releases increases every year; someone must be making money or they would not do it. My 10 year old daughter LOVES 3D films. My 20 year old daughter wanted to see "Beauty and the Beast" in 3D for her birthday last year; she fell in love with it all over again.

It is still a very imperfect medium, and lots of directors are still experimenting. As I mentioned, I felt that Scorsese did the best job of 3D I have seen so far. I would like to see more directors of that caliber experimenting with 3D. It will definitely improve with time.

You know, lots of people were skeptical about the car, the airplane, natural gas, electricity, space flight, personal computers...

Oh okay. I'm going by a lot of people I've asked. I haven't asked any kids though. I'm still waiting for hologram movies, where the glasses will not be needed.

Nothing much to add, aside from Tron II still being the only 3D film that's actually been interesting.

No one holds a gun to your head to go to a 3D show.

True, but the cinemas sure can make it inconvenient. If running both 2D & 3D versions, my local theater would show the 2D at 2pm & 9:30pm. The 3D shows at 4pm, 5:45pm, 8pm. I'm going to be shoehorned into that 3D screening, unless I have no work that day or can stay up late. Neither time being family-friendly, regardless.

I love 3d. I don't like it when films try to use it as a selling point, but I think it adds another spectrum to films. I even have a 3D flatscreen in my living room. Looking forward to The Great Gatsby in 3d, I think Baz will make it visually exciting for sure.

Nothing much to add, aside from Tron II still being the only 3D film that's actually been interesting.

True, but the cinemas sure can make it inconvenient. If running both 2D & 3D versions, my local theater would show the 2D at 2pm & 9:30pm. The 3D shows at 4pm, 5:45pm, 8pm. I'm going to be shoehorned into that 3D screening, unless I have no work that day or can stay up late. Neither time being family-friendly, regardless.

Our theatre tends to alternate the 2D and 3D. We still get folks who just show up and go to whatever is starting next though... then get annoyed when it's the 3d one and they'll have to wait an hour for the 2D.

Back