• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Lost Dream (Eng Sub)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/watch?v=NnuCvKwAuZA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnuCvKwAuZA

This very low budget short film made with available light source only. We had plan to shoot more footages but couldn't do it because of rain. Just because it was more or less experimental short, we didn't wait to shoot extra footages. Thus, the story is somewhat confusing. We have a plan to re-edit this short btw. We used canon 550D and Canon 55-250mm telezoom & Canon 50mm Prime lens. I've used my Compaq laptop (AMD V140 processor with 4GB ram) to edit this film. :grumpy:

Synopsis: They have a goal to bring a better world. But the govt is one step ahead from the revolutionary group.

Story. Direction, Shot & Cut --> Mahdy Hasan [Shamim]
Direction Assistant --> Sarowar Turzo Babu

Cast: Faisal, Priyanka, Noyon, Rubel, Babu, Saiful & Shamim (we all are friends, and have no experience of acting :lol:)

Thanks Sonyboo. I've used some music form your site I think. :cool:

At the beginning, the camera work was pretty bad - it's those kinds of takes that you need to have seen during shooting and told yourself you need to reshoot. Panning and then tilting in the same shot is just... it just doesn't look good in those kinds of shots. It's very rare something like that can get done.

There seems to be a lack of consistency in the lighting and colour schemes, which you've pointed out is due to using available light sources. Did you do any colour correction in post-production?

It's very odd that you chose that song for the guy to whistle at the beginning of the film. You set it up for a Kill-Bill-esque presentation, then overshadowed the whistling with a completely different tone of song (which should have been the only sound during those shots too, but I could hear the faint sound of the whistling carrying on behind it). Consistency is what seperates the good films from the bad films, so try to focus on keeping consistent style and tone throughout.

In my opinion, there's way too many tilts and pans. Being a bit new to filming myself, I'm not sure when panning is meant to be used exactly, but I tend to try and limit the amount as much as I can. That actually helps if you're fairly average at handling a camera as well, because the audience is less likely to see unwanted things like camera shake and bumps, which are obviously much less likely to happen if you're not moving the camera at all.

You don't really seem to lead into the faster paced scenes either, you just sort of cut them together wildly with the other scenes. For example, you go straight from him being relaxed in his room to the scene where all three of them are talking, and then you cut again to him doing pushups, and then cut back. You kind of need a reason for that sort of stuff.

Some of the subtitles weren't synced up properly with the dialogue, which was a bit annoying at times.

The same problems seem to consist throughout. There is room for improvement though, definitely! Better planning of shots, editing choices, etc. are what need to be done, and consistency seems to be your main problem. Good luck in the future!

At the beginning, the camera work was pretty bad - it's those kinds of takes that you need to have seen during shooting and told yourself you need to reshoot. Panning and then tilting in the same shot is just... it just doesn't look good in those kinds of shots. It's very rare something like that can get done.

There seems to be a lack of consistency in the lighting and colour schemes, which you've pointed out is due to using available light sources. Did you do any colour correction in post-production?

It's very odd that you chose that song for the guy to whistle at the beginning of the film. You set it up for a Kill-Bill-esque presentation, then overshadowed the whistling with a completely different tone of song (which should have been the only sound during those shots too, but I could hear the faint sound of the whistling carrying on behind it). Consistency is what seperates the good films from the bad films, so try to focus on keeping consistent style and tone throughout.

In my opinion, there's way too many tilts and pans. Being a bit new to filming myself, I'm not sure when panning is meant to be used exactly, but I tend to try and limit the amount as much as I can. That actually helps if you're fairly average at handling a camera as well, because the audience is less likely to see unwanted things like camera shake and bumps, which are obviously much less likely to happen if you're not moving the camera at all.

You don't really seem to lead into the faster paced scenes either, you just sort of cut them together wildly with the other scenes. For example, you go straight from him being relaxed in his room to the scene where all three of them are talking, and then you cut again to him doing pushups, and then cut back. You kind of need a reason for that sort of stuff.

Some of the subtitles weren't synced up properly with the dialogue, which was a bit annoying at times.

The same problems seem to consist throughout. There is room for improvement though, definitely! Better planning of shots, editing choices, etc. are what need to be done, and consistency seems to be your main problem. Good luck in the future!

A great observation I must say.. about the first shot, my friend took it for me. I told him what to do and then I walked into the alley after actor went into [oh yeah, the killer was me :lol: ].. so, he didn't know how to handle camera [in fact it was my first cinematography; but then I at least studied some facts about cinematography :P] .. well, I did the panning & tilting in the 3rd shot [established shot to show the local area] ...

yes, I did all color correction in AE .. this is the first time editing for me as well...so, I used presets for color correction..

well, I couldn't find anyone who could whistle with his/her mouth so that I could use a unique whistle in that shot..so, I downloaded it from net [oh, what else I could do!!] .. I credited it at the end ofcourse..

I experimented about long panning & tilting shots during the whole film.. I tried to use a 3-wheeled-dolly by attaching underneath the tripod..and it just sucks :@ .. trust me, I will never use that dolly again..

The pace was tended to be slower when the guy was doing usual works or I better say waiting for the right time.. and then it went to fast when the killer started killing..

well, lemme give you a scenario..It took me 12 hours to render the whole film in adobe premier pro cs3.. and then it didn't play well on my laptop due to high resolution..so, I tried to maintain the timing on notepad when I was writing the subtitle..and then I gave the avi file and text file to one of my friend..he then converted the video in his office and sync the subtitle..really sorry about it ..

You are damn right, man.. I was looking for this kind of feedback .. Thanks so much.. :)

Whats that whistling song at the beginning? I know it from somewhere. It sounds like a Leone western??

ThatGuyFromThatPlace said:
Whistled in Kill Bill by the one-eyed nurse whilst she goes to "visit" The Bride whilst she's in a coma in hospital. At least, I think that's where this came from, though it may have been inspired or even took from somewhere before that.

you guys are right... like I mentioned in my earlier post, I couldn't find anyone who could whistle with his mouth for me.. so I downloaded it from net; used it in my short; and credited it at the end of the movie .. I think i didn't do anything wrong as this short is not for any commercial purpose, did I?

As far as I know I don't think there's anything wrong with it, especially since it's only a very small part of the short film. I think he was just wondering where he remembered it from.

Back