• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Lady Is A Doll (74min)

Here is the link to our 3rd feature film, THE LADY IS A DOLL. It is based on the ballet COPPELIA and is set in the 1950s.

It won BEST OF THE FEST at the 2005 Outhouse Film Festival, and an Honorable Mention at the Spindletop Film Festival.

http://vimeo.com/12216006

As always, feedback is welcome.

Thanks for sharing, it was a lot of quirky fun!

I really enjoy this style of low budget (Kind of Troma, John Waters, Frank Henenlotter -but innocent) film.

The colors, lighting, acting, make up, costumes, music and closing credits concept were great.

-Thanks-

Thanks for sharing, it was a lot of quirky fun!

I really enjoy this style of low budget (Kind of Troma, John Waters, Frank Henenlotter -but innocent) film.

The colors, lighting, acting, make up, costumes, music and closing credits concept were great.

-Thanks-

Thank YOU, Buddy, for taking the time to watch it. Glad you enjoyed it!

More info on the movie is available here:
http://hedgespictures.com/ladyisadoll.html

The actor who played "The Franz," Wes Brown, has now gone on to roles in GLORY ROAD, BEACH GIRLS and TRUE BLOOD.

You're welcome.

I like the still of Colleen, Sabrina and Lorraine with the car.

Fan Of The Opera sounds interesting too.

Moving Parts: Bringing the Doll to Life is very cool.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
We were spoiled with MOVING PARTS - sure was nice having someone shooting all that behind-the-scenes footage and then taking the time to edit it together while we worked on the actual movie.

FAN OF THE OPERA is quickly taking over my life. It's a musical, so that's a new challenge we are trying to get control of. Just finished principal casting this week.

We are also having an event in 2 weeks to celebrate our 10th Anniversary - so, lots going on these days!

I watched it again this morning and have to give props to the camera work and editing on top of the other attributes I mentioned before. (What a team!)

This isn’t the funniest or most technically ground breaking thing ever, but to me it invents its own universe with maybe the influence and sensibility of stage production combined with good old fashioned ‘not losing sight of delivering a simple fun experience to the audience’.

It has a lot of heart by way of simplicity that to me sets it apart from an ocean of common, hollow effect laden offerings I see.

I can't help but feel that sooner or later it's all going to come together, and you're going to hit the nail on the head in creating a cult classic type film.

-Thanks-

I think it's great that you folks made this little feature. I too enjoyed it for the B style and for its kind hearted story. More on what I liked in a moment but let me point out a few things if you don't mind. :D

Beginning when car came down the street you unfortunately picked up a BMW in the shot, but at least it was a roadster. ;)

In the auditorium I wish there were not so many empty seats in some shots. Not a major issue but moving extras around could have solved that. (Note, it wasn't the seats in front of the main characters but the ones behind the actors.)

@15:40, there were some continuity issues when the two are talking. She reacts with different a posture which for me is a bit jarring and took me out of the scene.

At my home connection it did freeze up @ 17:26 but my connection at work it did go much smoother. It just stunk that I had to wait to finish watching it.

@ 17:50 his buddy with Hawaiian shirt is not with the group. But he magically appears in 17:55 calling him out. Also, @ 17:55 you have so much head room to show us the ugly, modern fire alarm (also at a locker scene too). Also, hearing the people lightly talking in the back ground with the sound of kids eating and chatting would have given this scene more atmosphere.

Montage wasn't bad but I think you could have been orchestrated it better (no pun intended). I really wanted to know the reasoning behind him being rejected at some point (sooner) and the whole montage could have also been quicker.

@25:32 there is way too much space in the right of the frame.

Workshop scene could have used more light at times.

At the end of the workshop he has to climb down a ladder but when the girls left it definitely looked like outside when they went out the door. I understand suspension of disbelief but you really need to sell it more. But I guess that B film thing is something you wanted.

Sound could have been better throughout but I really did like the sound effect you placed in it. The only time I thought one effect was really unneeded was the toilet flush in the montage. Reason being it was the only sound effect during that time. The music was good but was over powering for me after a while. At times I felt you could have faded in and out of it. Ambient sound could have been better too. The editing of sound was choppy at times. But with most sounds that were used when an action happened on screen it seemed you got a good portion of them right. In general, even though it's a B film, it could have had a little bit more tender love and care.

A good portion of the time you did have decent lighting. In the theme of B films it all pretty much worked without being creative.

I feel you folks played it safe with the choice of shots and I think you should try to be more creative in the future. Try not to make them so flat and try at least to use more depth in the frame. Two people talking against a flat background just gets boring after awhile.

Colors throughout seemed fine (if it wasn't too dark because of lack of lighting). Besides a few mistakes with showing modern technology, you did a great job with the '50's theme. I feel that the workshop set design was a excellent job. Costumes were great.

Acting was good with some and okay with others but again, with the B film theme you really don't want the best acting in the world. But I bought it and you work with what you have.

Story was fine and nice to see a film which wasn't harsh but instead sweet. I think this was a play or ballet which of course goes against most screenwriting conventions. So as long as you understand that I'm not going to complain and just buy what you have presented. But note, I believe I read this information before watching and if I were someone who knows screenwriting and didn't read that, I might get frustrated.

But in all I think the entire crew (actors/actresses included) should feel proud of this film. Looked like a lot of fun to work on and came out with a neat product. With all the things I've said I still was able to enjoy myself while watching it. I hope all of you keep up the good work and keep making films.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I didn't get to watch it all but what I saw was brilliant! The only things I noticed that ruined the fifties theme was - that mod car in the background - the poster in the hallway next to the lockers in the school of mod kids. It took away the fifties theme.

The cooky man in the mansion sort of reminded me of the Christopher Lloyd charactor in Back to the Future. A nutjob genious.

Love the music too.

Its doing a period piece is quite hard when you are surrounded by modern day living...but aside from those, it was well done.

Thanks Libby, wridingrlm, and everyone for your feedback, it is very much appreciated!

Thanks to everyone for taking some time to watch it as well.

Back