• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Girl | Romance Short Film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a42ewY9l_0o
This film is my final major project at my college(high school) Media Production course.

"The Girl is the story of a depressed guy whos girlfriend, for reasons unknown suddenly cuts herself out for his life leaving no trace. He is left to live his life alone and spends his days reminiscing and trying to bring back his memory of her face. Will he ever find the memory? Will he ever find her? Did she ever exist?"

The film is inspired by the novel Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. It is also inspired by films by director Wong Kar Wai, such as Chungking Express. It is also inspired by the film When Five Fell by Wong Fu Productions. In Haruki Murakami fashion the film is quite ambiguous, but the hints about the storyline are all there if you pay attention. Another film that was an influence for me was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind.

Edited using Adobe Premiere CS4
Filmed with Canon eos 550D

If you guys get the opportunity, subscribe to my channel please :)

Last edited:
I like how you shot it, and I also think your editing is on-key. My problem is with your screenplay. With the constant narration, this is literally 100% exposition, from start to finish.

You've got a lot of great talents to build upon. I think you will do terrific things in this art. Just remember that filmmaking is a visual medium. SHOW us the story. Don't TELL us.

Lovely visuals. That is such a great city and you captured it. But yes, the narration is a little long winded. Be ruthless in your editing. :)

Thanks for all the feedback, will take it all into account, both bad and good. :) Having all narration was my choice to tell the story, its a stylistic choice but also done to avoid amateur acting, I purposely avoided conversation in the film as the actors in the film aren't actors they're just friends, I really wanted to avoid bad acting. Relying on narration was exactly what I set out to do, so I'm really happy with it, but I think the chinatown scene could have been done better. Cheers for all the feedback.

Back