The future of Cameras and Motion Image recording?

Lytro (a light field camera) will be introduced next year -- they are calling it the world's first 4D consumer camera. While this camera is aimed at still photography first, it wont be long before Motion Image Cameras start to work with light field motion recording. Talk about realism in images! The artist (or non-artist) having maximum control on every facet of the final image!

What do you think will be the pluses and minuses of Light Field Motion Image Cameras?

Almost flawless imagery able to be shot by anyone, anywhere at anytime?

I think the implications for DOF would be spectacular. No more worrying about aperture and focal lengths and sensor sizes, just dial-in exactly the right DOF in post. You'd even be able to try it out in different ways to see how much of the image you want in focus without having to decide up front. That alone would change things significantly.

I was just reading about this but I'm not enough of a gearhead to make any predictions.

However, 4D, to me, is a misnomer. I mean, as I understand it, time is the fourth dimension, right?

I was just reading about this but I'm not enough of a gearhead to make any predictions.

However, 4D, to me, is a misnomer. I mean, as I understand it, time is the fourth dimension, right?

Correct. I think what they're implying by calling it 4D is that you can change the look of the picture after the fact, thereby "going back in time" to get the image you want after you've taken the picture. Or something like that.

Cameron is 100% right on "going back in time".

Imagine being able to shoot footage, and rearrange your footage or shots, focus and re-focus and re-focus, color and (at high-capture), composition... add to that variable speed and an editor can have a field day!

I am a gadget freak. Major, major gadget freak! Just wish I could afford to buy the technology! I still use 1999 DVcam equipment due to my working poor, middle-class status. Would love to jump in to the new 35mm camcorder technology, like the NEX-FS100... (they say this will be the next BIG movie transition for low budget film makers).

The Light Field camcorders are about eight to twelve years away...

Imagine the insane editing possibilities with that thing as a video camera-jump cuts to the same clip, but focused differently... that'd be so sick in music videos. I hope this technology progresses fast!

Back