• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Flesh Eating Horrors Trailer

I'm going to give my honest opinion, as I don't think it's worth giving anything else..

Your alien really isn't convincing at all. It's a cheap Halloween mask and a spray painting overall. It doesn't look good. Thing is though, it doesn't necessarily have to - take 'Alien' for example; we don't see much of the creature and when we do, it's hidden in the shadows. To have your man-in-a-mask alien front and centre, brightly lit, walking towards camera just exposes your monster for what it really is.

Having said all that, I'm a fan of no-budget horror, so I'd at least be interested in how this all turns out.

Also, there's some horrible distortion on the music that just comes across as noise. Was that intentional? I'd expect it would make this unwatchable to some.

I'm going to give my honest opinion, as I don't think it's worth giving anything else..

Your alien really isn't convincing at all. It's a cheap Halloween mask and a spray painting overall. It doesn't look good. Thing is though, it doesn't necessarily have to - take 'Alien' for example; we don't see much of the creature and when we do, it's hidden in the shadows. To have your man-in-a-mask alien front and centre, brightly lit, walking towards camera just exposes your monster for what it really is.

Having said all that, I'm a fan of no-budget horror, so I'd at least be interested in how this all turns out.

Also, there's some horrible distortion on the music that just comes across as noise. Was that intentional? I'd expect it would make this unwatchable to some.

It is supposed to be a horror comedy, so the unrealistic alien costume was intentional, such as the unrealistic UFO. Though if it comes out as more cheap than comedic then I'll try to re-edit it. And yes, the music is supposed to sound like that, but it is an old intro i made for a musical project that i decided to use in the teaser, it will not be featured in the final picture.

Yeah, for me, I didn't get the feeling that this was supposed to be funny. Where are the jokes? In the context of a comedy, the look of the alien might work, but as it stands in this trailer, it doesn't.

Well 40 minutes is feature.

Where do you get that from? 40 minutes isn't a feature. What it is is the sort of length that will struggle to get viewers on YouTube and will almost certainly be rejected from all festivals. Or so I'm led to believe...

Well, the project will be called The Flesh Eating Horrors from Outer Space, so I thought that it was pretty obviously a horror comedy, but I could perhaps have made that clearer in the trailer. It is however worth to mention that the comedy is supposed to be in the absurdity of the entire setting, not in the form of one liners.

Last edited:
The title is cool, but it's not obviously comedy. To me, it sounds like a throwback exploitation title - Zombie Flesh Eaters is the first thing that springs to mind. That doesn't automatically make it a comedy.

Have you seen Evil Aliens? Might be worth a watch.

No I haven't seen that one, but I'll give it a shot.

And I am pretty much trying to parody that 70's 80's exploitation feel. I can however see how not adding any dialogue to the trailer might hide that a little. I'll try to edit a new trailer that better represents my intentions.

Very often what is clear to the filmmaker is not clear to the viewer. To me it
wasn't obvious that it was a comedy. Nor does it look like a parody of that
70's/80's exploitation feel.

I love the idea. I hope you can make it work.

Thanks, I will of course link the finished film when it's done.

Looking at the shot footage I realize I might have drifted a bit away from the 70's and 80's exploitation feel, but I'm confident I'll make it come out much stronger in the finished product. This is my first project though so I might haven't gotten the comedic elements quite right yet, not in the trailer at least.

It's not bad for your first project. You didn't reach the audience in the way
you wanted to. That happens. I'm glad this feedback helped.

Are you going to try another version of the trailer?

This is certainly better. In this we get a bit more of a feel for the story. And it’s good to see you’ve changed that music! You’ve also got less of the alien in this, which is a good thing.

However, there are a couple of things. First, I’d say this is too long. At the moment it’s a string of short scenes. But you’re spending too much time in each scene, and we’re not really learning anything. As a trailer, you could do with cutting this quite a bit faster.

Also, I’m still not getting that this is a comedy. It still just feels like a no-budget horror. Can you give an example of another film that plays in the same comedic way, just so I can get a feel for what you’re aiming for? What about the absurdity of this situation makes it funny? Whatever you answer is, I think you need to try to convey that in your trailer. I liked the line “based on a fictional story”. That’s pretty funny.

I could perhaps have edited it a bit faster, but I was trying my best to fill up the soundtrack. The composition isn't mine so I do not have the stems to edit it.

And I'm struggeling to find annother film that plays in this comedic way. I guess the closest might be Bad Taste. Though what I am tying to do is to emulate a unintentional comedic movie, like teenagers from outer space or any Ed Wood jr. Production. There are no "jokes" and comedic settings, but with bad dialogue, ridiculous effects and the story itself it is meant to make people laugh. I'm basicly trying to overdo everything to the point where it is comedic. This was kinda hard to show in trailer form, so I added the "Based on a fictional story" line.

I agree. Better.

What you are attempting is really difficult to get across. My first feature
was called "Horror Brunch!!!" (with three exclamation points) and I didn't
manage to do it. I, too, wanted to keep it "straight" without jokes hoping
the acting, setting and absurd story would carry the comedy. A few years
later I did it much better with one called, "What Is It and Why Does It
Smell Like That?!". So I understand the struggle.

I did chuckle at the "Based on" title card. Different music would really help.
Music sets the mood better than almost anything. Perhaps something "funny"
would do it. Think early Danny Elfman. I also wonder if (for me) it's an
American vs. Scandinavian style. I'm very familiar with films from your part
of the worlds and the style is slower than American films. While watching
your trailer I kept wanting it to be faster paced. But doing that might change
your whole tone.

Good work regardless.

Back