The film that most inspired you?

I've read some great posts on the forums, linking present works to previous, watching shorts and features submitted and dissecting the initial orb of inspiration that kick-started the vision, be it from fact, fiction or documentary, it's damn fascinating.

So I'm hoping this thread will open the eyes of the old & new onto material that maybe they had no idea existed, of what inspired them and most of all why, leaving a catalog for the masses of forum-goers to refer to in the very foreseeable future.

I'll go ahead and give my two cent and score you with a short synopsis to give you a heads up whether indeed it's your 'thing' or not.

(I'm secretly hoping most of have seen both of these productions already)

'MAN ON WIRE'

man_on_wire_ver21233859132.jpg

Man on Wire is a 2008 documentary film directed by James Marsh. The film chronicles Philippe Petit's 1974 high-wire walk between the Twin Towers of New York's World Trade Center.

AND

'The Diving Bell & The Butterfly'

Diving_Bell.gif

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (French: Le scaphandre et le papillon) is a 2007 French/American biopic/drama film based on the memoir of the same name by Jean-Dominique Bauby. The film depicts Bauby's life after suffering a massive stroke, on 8th December 1995, at the age of 42, which left him with a condition known as locked-in syndrome.

Both book adaptations partner the original novels exceptionally. 'MAN ON WIRE' is something of true marvel, the movie recites the journey in the present day by Phillipe himself amongst a few of his closest friends and once partner whose name escapes me. The interviews are timid at times, heartfelt and so true to a point that left me motionless. There's something in a man walking across a wire, suspended in the sky, above the economy, above New York City, and of course since the great tragedy of 9/11, needless to say, seeing the buildings resurrected and a small-framed man seemingly gliding between them is something to behold. It was a movie i come away from feeling enormously proud.

'The Diving Bell & The Butterfly'. The novel was written by Jean-do himself, using an alphabet sequence which he choreographed using his left-eye lid. He was the once French editor turned vegetable, limp and bedridden he survived by living within the walls of his imagination, and left us with a great novel turned great film.

I can say equally, the two are profound influences in how i live and write, they're timeless with well-knitted story-telling and cinematography that i can forever applaud.

I keep meaning to see "Man on Wire."

Different movies have had different distinct influences on both my writing, my ideas of how I'd like to approach a film visually and even as an actor. If I were to make a list it might include stuff like Down by Law, Ghostbusters, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Henry Fool, Clerks, Slacker, Evil Dead, Seven Samurai, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and others.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Most because Peter Jackson breaks it down in the behind the scenes DVD's. It gave me a lot of hope to be able to be a film maker someday.

I keep meaning to see "Man on Wire."

Different movies have had different distinct influences on both my writing, my ideas of how I'd like to approach a film visually and even as an actor. If I were to make a list it might include stuff like Down by Law, Ghostbusters, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Henry Fool, Clerks, Slacker, Evil Dead, Seven Samurai, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and others.

Interesting, as an actor, if you could name one sterling performance that you can draw back to re-inspire you, who would it be?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Most because Peter Jackson breaks it down in the behind the scenes DVD's. It gave me a lot of hope to be able to be a film maker someday.

A friend of mine mentioned this yesterday, I haven't seen the breakdown yet, I'll definitely have to catch it soon. It's great to know that you drew inspiration from the 'mechanics' and 'elbow grease' of a production, a brilliant incite man!

For me?

McCabe%20and%20Mrs.%20Miller.jpg

An absolute gem by Robert Altman. Gorgeous photography by Vilmos Zsigmond, haunting soundtrack by Leonard Cohen, with Altman's trademark overlapping dialogue used to genius effect.

The final image with Julie Christie deep in an opium stupor and examining the shimmering effects of color and light on the surface of a seashell while Warren Beatty slowly dies in the snow is one of the more haunting moments I've ever seen on the screen.

That's interesting. I'm not really a fan of LotR but I'm gonna netflix them now just for the special features :)

I love behind the scenes stuff :)

That's interesting. I'm not really a fan of LotR but I'm gonna netflix them now just for the special features

Even movies I don't like have interesting behind the scenes footage. I don't like LOTR much either but I respect the work and time that went into it, and would love to learn how Jackson did it.

Inspiration:

Best Movie: Clockwork Orange and all of Kubrick's movies.
Best Low Budget: Clerks + Pi the Movie
Cinematography/Namedrop obscure arthouse flick: Spirit of the Beehive

Last edited:
@Adeimantus

I've not seen "Mcabe and Mrs.Miller" for years! I'm digging this out tonight, nice!

@MissaKargl This is one I'd heard tons about with it being swarmed with academy nominations, but was too busy to get around to seeing it, going to pick up a copy, cheers for heads up, I'll let you know what i think within the week.

Inspiration:

Best Movie: Clockwork Orange and all of Kubrick's movies.
Best Low Budget: Clerks + Pi the Movie
Cinematograohy/Namedrop obscure arthouse flick: Spirit of the Beehive

'Spirit of the beehive' I'm yet to see, i remember seeing the movie poster on a t-shirt on some guy at a music fest, I'll check this one out, just wondering whether they'll have a copy at some of the indie-movie stores, or whether it's best to just go with Amazon.

Gummoposter.jpg

Might not be the most inspirational but it is on the top of my list of best of all time. I guess it's because I'm kind of jealous because it's the type of film I always wanted to make and Harmony did it perfect before I could. But it does inspire me to do the best I can for trashness.

Please note, this film is not for sensitive people.

Most inspirational????? Maybe Alien when I saw in the theatre when I was in 2nd grade. It sure made me think that Star Wars was sissy crap at such a young age. Or like someone said above, maybe Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original). Or maybe Evil Dead. Or maybe The Attack of the Mushroom People. So many which created this crazy mind I have and I haven't even touched on other genres.

Back