The entitlement question(attitudes towards copyright)

Funny you say that about concerts because at NAB the next big thing for 3D are live concerts. Dave Matthews in 3D was playing.

You would ultimately have to destroy the internet to "fix" the problem.

Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw the other day:

"The internet was down so I decided to come outside today".

I laughed.

Not that I condone piracy, but there is something to be said for downloading bringing a larger ratio of money earned back to the original artist. At least in the case of music.

Most musicians get a very small piece of the back end on record sales. The profits mainly go to the label. Remember the first band to make a stink about napster? It was Metallica, and their pockets were being hurt because they own their label and therefor saw a lot more of those profits than most bands.

You can see a movement even in more mainstream artists to give their recordings away for free (didn't radiohead release one of their last albums just on their website). They are the smart bands. Screw the bit of royalties you'd get from each record sale, the real money is in touring, always has been, and not to mention, you can't replace the experience of going to a live show.

Radiohead-THANK YOU! They were the band that did it on the internet and let fans pay "what they would"-ended up paying next to nothing. They then ticked off some fans by saying that CD was a onetime thing, they would go back to traditional sales next album....

You think things like Apple I-tunes hurt or helped the musicians (considering now you can download from the site, legally, DRM free music to use on other things.....like video compliations (here we go again....lol).

Last edited:
Using cracked software, sharing copyrighted music, etc. is theft, pure and simple. Part of what is happening in the digital age is that these folks aren't stealing something physical, like a CD or a car, so they don't see it as theft. The concept of intellectual property is a hard one to grasp for these morons.

I agree.

Interesting thread. I haven't read the thread that started this, but I was just having this same conversation with my friend, Paul Folger, of INOV8 Productions. I told Paul, that it was only in the last 2 years that I learned After Effects, because I wanted to be able to buy a copy, but it was rather expensive. Technically, Paul and I payed a fortune for our hardware and software, so it should mean that people would hire us to use it. No, instead, every filmmaker I know has a crack copy of After Effects, so they don't need to come to legitimate buyers to get work done. This takes revenue opportunity away from many of the graphic FX guys.

I didn't participate in "file sharing" of artists' music and software, yet I've seen Tower Records, Virgin Mega Store and Oddessy Records all disappear! Now, the same thing is happening with DVDs. Goodbye Hollywood Video and Mom & Pop shops. People don't want to pay to keep anyone in business.

I can tell you that my feature movies are available for download through sites in countries that didn't pay for them. I've spent my fair share on gear, so don't even get me started on people not wanting to pay for music!

studiosynths.jpg

I tried to make a supplemental living as a composer and gave it up, about 5 years ago. Back in the 90's, I left demo tapes at every production house in town, but they didn't want to pay more than peanuts, because they said that they could just pay a royalty for stock CD library music.

Now, the worth of the average composer has plummeted, even though music clearance is still a big issue. There are some rather talented musicians flocking to boards like IndieTalk wanting to score anything for free, so it cracks me up when a filmmaker is surprised that they might have to pay a lot of money to use one of Eminem's hit singles in their soundtrack.

I've done enough deferred work, in the past, that I'm done giving it away. I save my scoring for my own projects, that way I truly enjoy it. I sure do miss going to big CD and movie stores.

I like making people laugh.

How about this one I saw at NAB:

The booth was a Japanese film equipment company and this is what their huge banner above the booth said:

"MOVIE EQUIPMENT FLOM OKINAWA, JAPAN: ANET INC."

I am dead serious. I'm not a racist but I thought it was cute.

:yes:

Last edited:
Back