• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

The cinema is a window...

I think you edited clips from movies together.

I don't understand what you are promoting. Watching this doesn't
inspire me to subscribe. It comes off a pretentious.

Making tributes is pretentious? :((
Not at all. Making a tribute can be entertaining.

You told us this is a trailer you are using to entice people to
subscribe to your channel. Is this a tribute?

I agree, sorry. The visuals were interesting in of themselves, but I was left with no idea what was being promoted. No way I'd ever click subscribe on that basis.

That said, if what you're doing is trying to set up a fairly highbrow channel for cinema lovers, I applaud the principle :)

On a more practical note, the voiceover quality let down the visuals. Really deflated any suspense/curiosity. I'd ditch it and just use the subtitles on their own. If you're going for enigmatic, that'd work just as well anyway imo.

I'm glad you liked it, FilmAutre!
I lurked around for a bit and found your YouTube channel. I watched God In A Box and have to say that I cringed tremendously at the cut-throat scene. Very disturbing and unfortunately intimate.

Subcribed :)

Aww... At first I thought you were insensitive but now I get the impression that deep down inside you do care. Thank you too directorik!!
I'll be sure not to make movie montages and label them otherwise next time.

Aww... At first I thought you were insensitive but now I get the impression that deep down inside you do care. Thank you too directorik!!
I'll be sure not to make movie montages and label them otherwise next time.

I do care. Very much. I'm always interested in what other
filmmakers are doing. You asked what we thought. I told
you. Isn't that what you wanted? I then asked a couple of
questions to get a better sense of what you are doing. You
didn't answer.

I'm sorry that my interest in your work and what you are
promoting seemed insensitive. Not my intent at all. I'm
sorry you chose to not answer my questions.

Sorry about that, I was being overly sensitive.
To answer the question, I was just trying to do both, make a tribute and promote a channel. Mike explained it better than I could, I guess I was trying "to set up a fairly highbrow channel for cinema lovers." The video was just suppose to be a big ol' dedication to cinema.

Sorry about that, I was being overly sensitive.
I never know exactly how to respond when asked, "What do you think?"
So I try honesty. My thinking is some people might appreciate knowing
what others think; what potential subscribers are really thinking when
they see the work. Of course it's nicer to hear, "This is the best thing I
have seen all day." but I tend to believe that also hearing from people
who don't think it's the best thing they've seen can also be helpful.

I honestly don't understand what you are promoting. I didn't get any
sense of what your channel might be from this trailer/tribute. I'm a bit
of a highbrow cinema lover so I might be a potential subscriber.

I totally agree! And now that I've had the chance to step away from the video for a while and come back to it with a fresh mind, I see what you meant by it being very vague as to what it was trying to promote. At this point I just want to move on and be wary of not doing the same thing next time.
I guess this is what people mean by film-making being a whole learning process, and not just technically speaking. lol

Back