"The Catcher in the Rye"- anyone else think it should be made into a movie?

i feel like it would be so incredible, especially with a great director
i'm surprised it hasnt been made yet. Do you think its impossible to get the rights to it? or something

Salinger hated hollywood (mostly because of some adaptations he wasn't happy with, and a reclusive personality in general). He refused to allow the rights to his works be sold. There was a rumor that his will would also prevent films from being made.

A film based on Catcher would be great, but it does seem that lots of people really miss the point of that book.

They already did, sort of.
was that movie loosely based off it or something? haha

its funny that you posted that because yesterday i was visiting sva in nyc and they had a poster for this movie and my mom was like you HAVE to watch this movie. this just reminded me haha

Salinger hated hollywood (mostly because of some adaptations he wasn't happy with, and a reclusive personality in general). He refused to allow the rights to his works be sold. There was a rumor that his will would also prevent films from being made.

A film based on Catcher would be great, but it does seem that lots of people really miss the point of that book.

yeah it would rock! and thats so true. When i read it for school last year, many of my classmate just thought Caulfield was annoying. which is ironic because Caulfield thought everyone around him was annoying or "phony". i dont think they realized how relatable of a character he was.

thats a shame people cant get the rights to it :(

Last edited:
was this movie loosely based off it or something? haha

its funny that you posted that because yesterday i was visiting sva in nyc and they had a poster for this movie and my mom was like you HAVE to watch this movie. this just reminded me haha

Maybe your mom knows something! :weird:

There are some parallels. Except only one of them ends in a blaze of glory!

Both you and your class were both correct. Holden is easy to relate to...and he is annoying. Even he thinks so; his self-loathing is spelled out very close to the beginning. Holden's character expresses the alienation and teen angst that many people feel. Eventually, he learns that it's something he's just going to have to grow out of. That's the part people seem to miss ;)

Another vote for you watching Taxi Driver. One of my favorite films ever. Both play around with the concept of an unreliable narrator, which always makes for an interesting watch/read. Great stuff!

We just finished reading this book in my class and no, it would be impossible to get the rights to make a movie on this book. See Salinger never wanted any of his stories to become movies but he finally let them do it on one of them (i forget which one). Anyway he thought they did a terrible job and so he will never let anyone do it again.

I once thought of doing this film as well, but just like Salinger himself says in the above document, Catcher in the Rye was really better in the form of a novel than it could ever be as a film.

Some works translate well, and others just don't. It's a great book, and I understand your interest in it, but I feel like for numerous reasons, it's a poor match for the adaptation process.

Also this is a story aimed at a teen audience, and would probably not sell well because of it's classification as a pure drama.

Back