movies The best way to watch 3D movies

sfoster

Staff Member
I finally had the opportunity to watch some 3D movies like avatar using a virtual reality headset and I was very impressed.

You watch in a virtual movie theatre and because the whole thing is VR the 3D movie literally comes off the screen inside your environment. I feel like there is never any of the blurry trouble focusing that I’d experienced with glasses irl watching 3D films. And overall the effect is really cool. It makes me want to watch 3D films and I normally prefer the 2D version irl.

Now the unfortunate part is that the vr headsets can’t match the perceived resolution of Blu-ray much less a real theatre. The tech still has to advance but I thought the trade off was worth it when it comes to 3D movies.

Side note - you can create your own multiplayer movie theatre in Vr, put your indie films on the screen and other people can join with their headsets and you can all watch your own movie together in the theatre! That would be awesome to have an indie talk movie night and host our own films or watch a new Hollywood blockbuster or something. The oculus quest is $400 so fairly affordable but not quite super mainstream yet. I’m guessing I’m the only one on here with a VR headset right now ?

That sounds very intriguing. I look forward to it, especially when they improve the resolution and focusing issues. On what platform, or whatever, did you experience this? Is it so good it will save 3D?

I love VR. But I do not have a VR headset. Maybe someday.

That sounds very intriguing. I look forward to it, especially when they improve the resolution and focusing issues. On what platform, or whatever, did you experience this? Is it so good it will save 3D?

I love VR. But I do not have a VR headset. Maybe someday.

platform was oculus rift

i think VR is in too much infancy to impact the massive film industry right now.
but in 10 years when everyone has their own head mounted display (hmd) things are different.

Instead of watching a film at home you can put on the hmd and watch the same film in a massive theater.
And that experience is even cooler if the movie is in 3d in vr.

so yeah i think possibly this could drive to a resurgence of 3d movies in the future once vr is ubiquitous

Back