the best voice recorder?

I am in search of a fanstastic voice recorder. I do have the cheapies that range in the 50 dollar range but I sound like tin.

While I can pratice on my computor which is good, I want a v.r. so that I can it to work and practice.

The one I have now, while I can hear myself, it not only sounds tinny but staticy and far away. Something with a really good mic (even connecting a mic doesn't help).

I dont want to just buy one because I can go to a place like B.B. and buy a more expensive one, take it home unpackage it , try it, and find out its not what I want.

So many someone here uses one and can share...maybe post what it sounds like?

Thanks.

What is the application? Voice-over recording? Location sound dialog recording? First and foremost is microphone selection. Give a little more information about what you are trying to do, and answers will become more specific.

I am in search of a fanstastic voice recorder. I do have the cheapies that range in the 50 dollar range but I sound like tin.

While I can pratice on my computor which is good, I want a v.r. so that I can it to work and practice.

The one I have now, while I can hear myself, it not only sounds tinny but staticy and far away. Something with a really good mic (even connecting a mic doesn't help).

I dont want to just buy one because I can go to a place like B.B. and buy a more expensive one, take it home unpackage it , try it, and find out its not what I want.

So many someone here uses one and can share...maybe post what it sounds like?

Thanks.

Well, for me the best is Moo0 VoiceRecorder, it can record microphone or computer sound. Exports files as Wav. or Mp3. And best of all it's free!

http://download.cnet.com/Moo0-VoiceRecorder/3000-2140_4-10864751.html

Thanks, and the next question is budget. Since your OP mentions "the best", I'd start with the Neumann U87 ($3,000), and perhaps the Focusrite ISA-ONE preamp ($400). Add a two channel interface (something like the Apogee Duet ($600), DAW software (protools 10, $600), monitors (geneloc 8050a, $4,400/pr.), acoustic treatment ($$$), cables, headphones, plugins, etc.

All of the above are argueable as "the best" but will get you up there with the big boys.

Also note that you can get by and produce usable voice-over content for about 1/10 of the price tag of the above listed gear.

Lastly, none of the gear above will make up for lack of voice-over talent. Garbage in = high quality, high resolution, low noise, garbage out.

Voice over recording. Right now, nothing else.

You need at least the following:
a) Good microphone. Here are some options to consider from the cheaper end to more expensive. All can potentially do a good job:
Rode NT1A ( condensor), Shure sm7B ( dynamic), ElectroVoice RE20 (dynamic), Neumann U87 ( condensor)

b) A good preamp. Don't use a cheap preamp built into a consumer souncard. Either use those in a quality audio interface ( RME for example) or better still purchase a stand alone mic preamp. There are many options available on the market here.

c) Decent quality audio interface into a computer

d) Good headphones for the VO guy.

e) Good monitor speakers for play back

You could use an all in one recording device such as the Marantz PMD661 for example instead of separate preamp, interface, computer. However, ultimately as you are going to be using a computer for editing etc I would still suggest you go the route of mic-preamp-audio interface-computer.
For good results you need good gear. IT doesn't have to be the very top of the line Professional stuff, but super budget stuff just won't cut it I'm afraid.

If you're just looking for something to take to work and practice, does it matter if you sound a little tinny? Obviously for a production you'll want to record on your computer, with a decent mic, preamp, etc, etc But if you're just recording for yourself, you're looking for things to improve in your performance, right? You're not critiquing audio quality, you're critiquing yourself. You can do that lo-fi.

If you do want to upgrade, I'm not sure if Best Buy would let you try out the recorders they have (I assume we're talking about small handheld dictaphone style recorders, right?), but if you stop in a music shop (guitar store, not record store), they should have some $100-200 practice recorders (mainly geared towards bands), and I've never been in a shop that didn't let you try things out right in the store. Find the one that sounds best to you and fits your budget.

I used to work in an independent office supply store (we did typewriter repair as well, if that gives you an idea about the kind of place it was) and sold a lot of new and used recorders. I wouldn't sell one unless the customer tried it out and liked it. Sadly most shops like that are gone, and a big box office supply store probably won't be as eager to let you try things. However, can't hurt to ask...worst they can say is no!

I forgot to add that you need some sort of pop filter to screen out plosives that occur with "B's" and especially "P's". You can buy pop filters, which is the easiest way, or you can make one from an old stocking over a coat hanger, (or better still an embroidery hoop).

Back