The best filmschool - directing

hi!
This topic has probably been up for debate many times, but I can't find any good answers.
Since I'm not from USA I have no idea on which one who is good or not so therefore I must ask;
Which one is the best filmschool for directing? I've heard that the Columbia College Chicago is very good but is it really one of the best?

USA:
The Los Angeles Film School? - Good? Bad? - Why?
NYFA? - Good? Bad? - Why?

In Australia:
Sydney Film School? - Good? Bad? - Why?
AFTRS? - Good? Bad? - Why?

If anyone has knowledge about this I would be thankful If you could reply

// nson

The school is really what you make of it using the equipment. Look for a school with a good hands-on reputation.

The school is really what you make of it using the equipment. Look for a school with a good hands-on reputation.

this

When I went and toured NYFA I honestly did not like the feel of it. The professors also seemed very pompus, and arrogant. NYU is considered one of the best, but tbh the kids that come out of that school really don't produce good films... they just have a lot of funding from mommy and daddy.

I'd say its all about feeling out a school. Take some tours, and check out what equipment they have. Talk to some of the professors at the school to see how its going to be.

The best thing about my school was the professors I had. They were some of the best, and make you feel like you belong on a movie set.

I'd say its all about feeling out a school. Take some tours, and check out what equipment they have. Talk to some of the professors at the school to see how its going to be.

The best thing about my school was the professors I had. They were some of the best, and make you feel like you belong on a movie set.

Hi!
Making tours around the country will be hard and expensive for me, since I live in Sweden. So I would be grateful if you could say some schools that you think is good and why you think so.

What school did/do you go to?

Could you give some examples of good schools with good equipment and teachers?

Last edited:
Hi!
Making tours around the country will be hard and expensive for me, since I live in Sweden. So I would be grateful if you could say some schools that you think is good and why you think so.

What school did/do you go to?

Could you give some examples of good schools with good equipment and teachers?

Well I went to Hofstra University in NY. It was a pretty good school in terms of equipment ( 4 super 16 cameras, a few HVX200's, and a shit load of bolex cameras) but the thing that impressed me about the school was the professors.

I had amazing instructors that taught me everything about film, and have given me an amazing experience.

if you are looking for schools based solely on equipment I would say NYU, Drexel, USC, UCLA, and maybe NYFA...

But using good equipment means absolute shit when it comes to film. Thats what I loved about my school, we learned how to shoot on 16mm bolex cam's and we had better ascetics and put out better films than most of the other "top" film schools.

The two most infamous Film School's in America are

University of Southern California (USC)
alumni - George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Robert Zemeckis, John Milius, Walter Murch, and more

and

New York University (NYU)
alumni - Martin Scorsese, Spike Lee, and more

Actually Valencia community college in Orlando offers the Digital Media course in the audit version so your not going per say for a certificate or degree. In the entertainment business its not about a piece of paper and all about who you know or you do a Kevin Smith and do it on your own and hope for the best.

Actually Valencia community college in Orlando offers the Digital Media course in the audit version so your not going per say for a certificate or degree. In the entertainment business its not about a piece of paper and all about who you know or you do a Kevin Smith and do it on your own and hope for the best.
I believe credits from this school also count as credits at UCF, and they have a film school.

Thanks everyone for answer!

I've heard it's "easy" to get into NYFA if you got the money, but how hard is it to get into UCLA, USC or NYU?
Or is it more a question of money

Last edited:
Back