• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The benefits of a script reader

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF HAVING A PROFESSIONAL SCRIPT READER. ONE GUY CHARGES 300 TO READ SCRIPTS WHAT'S THE POINT? WHAT'S THE BENEFITS? WHAT DO THEY EXACTLY DO?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please remember to turn off the caps lock on your keyboard.

To answer the question, script readers will give you advice on where they see weak points on your screenplay. Real pros can charge thousands. Sometimes you have a buddy who will look at it for free. Depends on who you know and what you want to get from it. If you want someone who has sold screenplays to major studios to work with you to develop your screenplay, that can cost some serious change unless you know them and they did you a favor.

I guess the benefit is that the guy knows what he's looking for in a script. What'll work, what won't work, what studios like. I'm no expert but I imagine that $300 isn't as much as some people would charge.
Unless you know somebody with knowledge to review your script for free, then it may be a good choice.

Here's the benefits:

Script coverage is actually a service that studios do. Screenwriters never see it. Studios have readers, and the readers give a screenplay a grade; Consider, Recommend, Pass, as well as a logline, synopsis, and reader's comments. Producers don't sit down and read stacks of scripts, they read the script coverage. Independent companies offer coverage and that's exactly what you'll get. This is a benefit if you want to see if your script is studio ready. The companies that do coverage use the same guidelines as the studios.

Script Evaluation (Analysis)
This is much different. This is a complete breakdown of the screenplay with comprehensive notes on improvement. It usually also includes script coverage. This is much more money.

Back