• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

The Architect of the Liminal

This is my latest micro-short (3 minutes) in which I combine super8, 2D and 3D animation and motion graphics. A bit of influence from silent films and a lot of fun weirdness. The music is by Esther Garcia (and it's great!).
Oh...and it's my first "starring" role, lol.

Upvote 2
Really nice work! I think the music selection was perfect for this. I especially liked the scene with the many hands working.

For some reason this reminds me of MYST. As popular as it was, a lot of people probably have no idea what it was, but MYST was considered a landmark artwork in the interactive space. It had a lot of this vibe to it, and was at the top of the charts on more than one occasion.

The transition of the picture frame from the super 8 footage to the cgi world was cool.

Thanks so much, Nate! We (as in my husband and I) are huge Myst and Riven fans here (in fact, we just finished "playing" the Riven remake and it was amazing), so maybe I subconsciously referenced some of that, lol. I agree on the music - it reminds me a bit of Angelo Badalamenti's music for "City of Lost Children" (which we also love).
I actually built the structure IRL (it's about 2 ft tall) so I could interact with it on super 8, then I constructed it in 3D on Blender so I could manipulate it there.
It was a fun project and I'll likely use this technique again.
Again, thanks for watching and commenting!

Cool animation and graphics.

In the category of "everyone has different taste," I found the music annoying and silenced it about a minute in.
I'm absolutely NOT saying there's anything wrong with it - just that it's not for me.

Ah - to each their own! :) But I am glad you liked the visuals. I originally was going to use an arrangement of Satie's Gnossienne #3 for the music, but when I came across this piece it was just the thing I was looking for.
Thanks for watching and commenting!

Sometimes EXPECTATIONS can ruin an otherwise good experience... unfortunately, this happened to me with your short film.
I saw the words liminal and architect -- I expected cool liminal architecture and there was none :(

Some liminal spaces stir emotions within me, I don't know exactly why, or what emotion I'm feeling, but there is a feeling...

Sorry to disappoint! Liminal can be the transition between two states of being or even a vagueness or imprecise place (physical or emotional), though, not just spaces...even the state between wake and sleep (hynagogia). I guess the architect thing threw you off.
Although I will admit I was playing with the concept of there being a dream architecture.

Last edited:
Back