Television Spec Question

Hi all,

I have a question regarding television specs. Is it okay to write a spec on a tv series that ended a couple or many years ago? Or does the spec for the show have to be still running? I only ask because if I plan on submitting it somewhere, will the people that read it not find the script relevant anymore? Thanks in advance.

I understand that it is probably essential to write a tv spec for a tv series that is currently airing in order to get a job in that industry.

I am currently an underclassmen in college and I was just wondering if writing a spec now is a waste of time (seeming that by the time I get out of school, the show may not be airing)? Is it normal for college students to write specs, get an agent, and potentially get a job as a writer?

You should write two or three scripts from current TV series as
your writing sample. This shows you are keeping up with the
industry and didn't write your spec years ago and are only now
showing it. Even if you write the script now to a show no longer
on the air you give the wrong impression.
Is it normal for college students to write specs, get an agent, and potentially get a job as a writer?
Not normal. But it happens.

While writing an older series isn't customary, given that so many older shows are now being re-made or in syndication, the question becomes "what's your take on it" as a writer. For example, someone thought to re-boot the "Munsters". There have been unsubstantiated murmurs of a new "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (I guess as an antidote to "True Blood"?). Heck, they rebooted "Dallas". If you do an older series, I would make it clear that your script has its own voice. But if you are contributing samples, do be sure that the majority are contemporary. As Rik said, a non-contemporized rewrite of an older series comes across as a dusted off script. A re-write of "Charlie's Angels" with a fresh take could show off writing talents.

The newer shows have script specs (which you should request) that outline the show's format and structure. Some are very tight. In judging the script, networks want to see how closely you can follow the established bible and format and keep proper voice and personality for the characters. How you handle story devices. Writing for television is much more demanding than writing for the screen. You have forty minutes to tell one or more stories with 3-6 pages to catch their attention at the beginning and hooks every 5-7 pages to bring them back after the commercial break. Good luck!

Back