• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Teenage Screenwriter in Need of Feedback?

Hey,

I just read your pages. The overall outcome is good. A mini story with a twist at the end. The biggest problem with it is that it reads more like an actual story book, so to speak, rather than a screenplay.

Your interior dialogue (thoughts and feelings) aren't necessarily needed in a script, this is more for the director to decide and get from from actors. Of course, you may include the serious aspects but mainly it is best to keep from doing it as people don't really seem to accept it.

Try to focus on scripting what shots you would use (close-ups, ect.) and force the reader to see what you see and what would be on a screen in front of them. For example:

"
FADE IN
INT. KITCHEN - DAY
A typical Saturday morning- bright sunshine and blue skies are visible from the wide, open windows, the sizzle of eggs and bacon fills the air. Steam clouds the face of MOTHER, busy at the stove as she cooks and hums a tune under her breath. Her DAUGHTER sits stiffly at the table, as if she is about to endure a beating."

For this opening sequence;
- The 'typical Saturday' isn't really required. If you need to make the audience aware this is typical, include that in the dialogue as they won't see the script when watching. If you need to make the audience know it is a Saturday, then show a calendar ect. (or put it in dialogue). You could even show a calendar with a to-do list to show a typical routine and the date.

- The outside is visible but yet we see the characters in the Kitchen. You should establish one shot and then another. Perhaps write that you pull out from the window of the outside and then the Mother comes into shot or simply say we cut to the Mother.

If I was to re-write this I would do:

FADE IN
INT. KITCHEN - MORNING
POV to outside, bright sunshine and blue skies, open windows.
We hear the sizzle of eggs and bacon fill the air.

CUT TO
CLOSE UP of MOTHER's face, Steam clouds her face. She hums a tune under her breath

WIDE SHOT: MOTHER is busy at the stove. We see her DAUGHTER sitting stiffly at the table.

The format is obviously wrong here, but this is how I personally would write. it is different for everyone but the aspects stay the same.

Try to make your script read more personally to the person reading it, get them involved in the scenes,don't just tell them a story.

You have a nice little weird story to tell. It's a good little piece of work but just needs working out.

If you have any questions or disagree with some of things I have said, please let me know.
I'm no scholar, I just know what I know.

Joe

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I would like some feedback on a 3 paged script that I wrote about a year ago. I'm considering making it for a film club that I want to start in the next school year, but I'd like to know if it's any good. Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1cgv5o7f3hkfke/Morning Routine (Completed).pdf?dl=0

It's a nice (if a little predicable) scene. I wouldn't worry about the formatting too much if you plan to make it yourself, but in general you should only include details that can and need to be shown on screen.

I think it could maybe do with a bit more in the first part, where the daughter is still disgusted - it would work well with a few more lines of dialogue to push the misdirection that she really is being a selfish teenager. If I were writing it, I would try to have the audience fully on the mother's side before completely subverting that.

I'm fascinated about how you plan to create the corpse effect in a school film club though! It would make or break the film, in my opinion: if it looks ropey, the atmosphere is spoiled.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate anything that can help me become a better filmmaker. I do plan on directing the project myself so I did include a lot of details (maybe too many details) in the action. And I know it's a weird little story, but I wanted to try my hand at a horror story after I was inspired by Stephen King and thought it would be a cool idea.

Danke schön! (Thanks a bunch)

Thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate anything that can help me become a better filmmaker. I do plan on directing the project myself so I did include a lot of details (maybe too many details) in the action. And I know it's a weird little story, but I wanted to try my hand at a horror story after I was inspired by Stephen King and thought it would be a cool idea.

Danke schön! (Thanks a bunch)

Bitte schön :)

But I'm still intrigued as to how you plan to achieve that effect.

My friend is really good at makeup effects - good to the point where it looks like a person is actually inside out or about to lose their spleen, so it would be easy for her to do a 3D stitching effect and other elements of the corpse. I was also going to incorporate some other ideas like using black contact lenses to use for the "glass eyes" installed by the mother. I'm not really sure how to do a complete lifeless effect without small revealing mistakes like a slight rising of the actor's chest or a twitch. I don't plan on making it my first ever film in the film club I'm starting next year, but I just wanted to make sure the story elements were good before I even considered actually making it for the club. :)

I disagree with maz. Even if you are directing you should learn proper
formatting - especially when you ask for feedback. But learning how to
write a screenplay is an important part of learning to be a filmmaker.

What do you plan on making as your first ever film in the film club?

Reads well enough for me to continue reading.

My first impression is that this kind of stuff will get a German audience to laugh. Giving it a second thought, - it's not truly a horror story, more a comedy-. You might want to develop it a bit further to get away from the middle ground. Now the mother comes off as mostly rude in the beginning, but not rude enough for it to be funny or scary. I would suggest removing pretty much all Julie's dialogue and instead indicate that the mom forces her daughter to play along. To an extent that it feels credible that they live with a corpse.

I actually haven't decided what I'll make first- I have a lot of other scripts that I want to consider making, one of which was completed in my ninth grade year for personal project, and plenty more that I'm still working on. And of course I have a thousand other projects in my pages app that are either only in-progress, or completely abandoned. But these are basically a good handful of ideas I had-

- (personal project) a kid tries to establish a new reputation on the first day of school after being known as "the weird kid" for most of his student career.

- a support group for superheroes with useless powers must band together to save the day

- a short film that tackles the topic of cultural appropriation with a mockumentary that follows the first participant of a countrywide Supernatural Integration Program - a 45 year old vampire (15 in human years) in love with the eighties.

- a short film about regret, forgiveness and fear of the future (based on myself) - a young woman under a family curse where each member's past and future selves show up in the exact middle of their lives must find the old mage who cursed her family

The third and fourth ideas are the closest to my own personal experiences and are, in my opinion, much better than the final scripts for the first two. But I figured that the weird kid and support group for superhero rejects are probably more engaging for kids in a high school film club. But I'm definitely going to write more scripts this summer, so I'll probably have more to choose from before August. And don't worry, I'll definitely be working on my formatting. ;):lol:

Back