tascam dr100 question

I have my tascam dr100 hooked up to a audio technica 897. For some reason though the gain never reaches close to 0 db. The volume is extremely low. Did i set up something wrong? I have it on stereo, xlr, plugged into the Left xlr input. I even have the switch on the back for the gain set at High. AT low or medium the mic doesnt pick up anything at all. And keep in mind the mic is right in front of a persons face.... there is definitely something wrong

Last edited:
hmmm then what should i do? send my dr-100 to the oades guys? i really dont like the idea of getting my recorder modded. would adding a mixer to my setup give me alot of improvement? or is it a miniscule gain

Last edited:
Depends on the mixer, but any quality field mixer such as PSC or Sound Designs will deliver a boat-load of clean gain, as well as all the other benefits mentioned earlier. It's really a matter of economics: how much money did the manufacturer spend on the preamps for a recorder that sells for $300 vs. a mixer manufacturer who sells a 2 channel mixer for $500 or a 4 channel for $1,000. Most field mixers stake their reputation on the quality of their pre-amps.

hmmm then what should i do? send my dr-100 to the oades guys? i really dont like the idea of getting my recorder modded. would adding a mixer to my setup give me alot of improvement? or is it a miniscule gain

Something to remember with mics that have a hotter signal... Set one of the channels a bit quieter so if there is a loud transient (the character yells, for instance) you have an undistorted safety track.

WARNING: ZOMBIE THREAD! :eek:

Resurrecting this to ask - regarding Alcove's quote above - is the DR-100mkII capable of doing that by itself, or must one have an external mixer feeding both channels? If the former, how do I set it to do so? In MONO mode, the levels on both channels stay the same.

WARNING: ZOMBIE THREAD!

plants-vs-zombie-papercraft-002.jpg

Resurrecting this to ask - regarding Alcove's quote above - is the DR-100mkII capable of doing that by itself, or must one have an external mixer feeding both channels? If the former, how do I set it to do so? In MONO mode, the levels on both channels stay the same.

As far as I know the DR-100mkII DOES NOT have a dual mono mode. I haven't used one in a while, and nothing is said in the manual. You can use a "Y" cable and manually adjust the levels with the dial, although the pre-amp levels will be equal, so it's not that much of an advantage.

284497.jpg

Also, the "Y" cable will reduce the levels going into the pre-amps between -2dB and -6dB depending upon the mic, the settings, phantom power, battery charge, etc.

Back