tascam dr100 question

I have my tascam dr100 hooked up to a audio technica 897. For some reason though the gain never reaches close to 0 db. The volume is extremely low. Did i set up something wrong? I have it on stereo, xlr, plugged into the Left xlr input. I even have the switch on the back for the gain set at High. AT low or medium the mic doesnt pick up anything at all. And keep in mind the mic is right in front of a persons face.... there is definitely something wrong

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong. The DR-100, and the H4n, are aimed at musicians who work at much higher dB (volume) levels than filmmakers do. The preamps are intentionally "weak" to prevent distortion. The AT897 and the NTG-2 both have low output levels when compared to other shotgun mics. The combination of low mic output and weak preamps makes for low volume levels. I've posted about this phenomenon frequently and is well documented on the 'net.

This is the problem of using a piece of gear just because it's inexpensive. Neither the DR-100 nor the H4n is designed for production sound, which has very specific requirements, so are compromise choices and you have to deal with the problems associated with those compromises.

You have everything correct. The DR-100, like the Zoom H4 (and H4n) have preamps with gain more designed for live music recording than recording dialog for film. Typically, for film, the desired level is around -20 with peaks hitting around -12 to -9. My guess is with the gain set to high, and level turned all the way up, and mic positioned properly, you're getting close to this level. The DR-100 was my first recorder (which I still have), and really came into it's own when I paired it with a field mixer (PSC Alphamix). However, in keeping the levels as described above, the best thing adding a mixer did was bring my internal noise level down.

ok then im prolly gonna return the dr-1oo then. What can i upgrade too that will give me proper film sound levels with my 897. also when i switched the input setting to mono it helped with the volume but made it uglier sound. Is mono a complete no no?

Last edited:
What can i upgrade too that will give me proper film sound levels with my 897.

Marantz PMD-661 - $600

Fostex FR2-LE - $600

Tascam HD-P2 - $700

You may want to add a mixer to the DR-100 instead of replacing it. The PSC AlphaMix is no longer available new, but the PSC DV PROMIX 3 is pretty nice for the price ($470) and the Sound Devices MixPre is a great buy ($670).

Tascam, phantom ON - AT897, phantom OFF.

AT897, phantom ON - Tascam, phantom OFF.

Either way works, but NEVER have the phantom ON both units simultaneously. And both units OFF means almost zero volume level.

I only edit dialog in mono, but the stereo files are usually the main dialog track and the safety track.

when the switch on the mic is on the straight line does that mean the phantom is on? im assuming it is. also im still unclear, do i set the tascam to stereo or auto because with mono it gives me 2 channels it seems but with stereo it gives me one....

MONO means you are getting the mono signal to both tracks.

Something to remember with mics that have a hotter signal... Set one of the channels a bit quieter so if there is a loud transient (the character yells, for instance) you have an undistorted safety track.

Stereo would be if you used two mics, although you should still think of them as 1 & 2 (or is it 3 & 4 on the DR-100? I can't remember).

Last edited:
Do not underestimate the advantages of having a quality mixer between the mic(s) and recorder. Although portable multi-track recorders have opened up options for iso tracking, the ability to have clean, high quality preamps between the mic and recorder cannot be ignored. Add to the the flexibility of signal routing and monitoring and the case of having a field mixer at the heart of a location sound rig becomes even stronger.

Even with the Oade mod, individual channel adjustments needed during a take are a bit clunky on the DR-100, and even worse on the H4n.

At the low end, a PSC pro mix 3 or 6 is a good choice. Sound Devices is the next step up.

Hope it's good because adding a mixer into the chain clunkifies a typical DSLR set up. The mod is also cheaper than a mixer. The Oade brothers site doesn't really say what the mod does.

What do you think of plugging one of these in to a DR100?
http://www.buy.com/prod/mackie-onyx...ce/q/sellerid/32064440/loc/101/218361058.html

The Oade brothers site doesn't really say what the mod does.

Yes, it does. The same basic upgrade applies to all of their mod packages

DR-100 Upgrades

We are now offering a Basic MOD that lowers the noise in the XLR mic preamp, a Concert MOD that increases detail and clarity as well as an FET MOD that has low noise and distortion along with an impressive 3D soundstage ! All our DR100 upgrades also increase gain by 5dB.

Hope it's good because adding a mixer into the chain clunkifies a typical DSLR set up.

What's so clunky about it? It's not even attached to the camera.

If they're not sitting at a sound cart most production sound mixers carry a bag around their neck with a recorder, a mixer, and probably a few wireless receivers.

If you think adding a mixer is inconvenient, imagine what it was like when you had to use a Nagra reel-to-reel to record production sound........

What do you think of plugging one of these in to a DR100?

This is meant for desktop usage, not field usage. If you use anything less than a PSC mixer there's not much point as you will not be noticeably improving upon the preamps of the DR-100

I bolt my DR100 to the rails sometimes -- a mixer would crowd things. Either way, it's another system to manage, and sometimes people spread themselves thin attempting to cover all the bases. Sure, hire a sound guy, but it's not always practical.

Looks like the Basic mod takes care of noise on the DR100 and it's only $125.

Back