Tarantino very, very depressed :(

It does sound a bit like he's throwing his toys out the pram though. He must know there's a risk of this happening, and why cancel it completely? Looks like he'd already had second thoughts and is blaming this, in my opinion.
I also hate it when people refer to themselves as 'very, very depressed'. he's not clinically depressed, he's pissed off his script got leaked. It's different.

I dnt see the big deal people who go read the leaked script (not many will bother) does not mean they wont watch the film. People who know the story to soaps in advance still watch the episodes... Besides its a early version, the finished film would be totally different. My money is also on he didnt want to follow through with the idea.

it is prolly less about the leakage, but more about the people who he planned to work with for atleast couple of years fkd up

"Oh no! Hollywood agents are reading my script and their famous clients want to be in my film. I'm so sad:(": Quentin Tarantino.

Is the script actually on the internet? Can someone post a link?

I think he's more pissed at the fact that one of the actors he trusted shared it when they were [assumedly] told specifically not to.

He's annoyed at the betrayel.

I think it's a tough stance he has made but I think it's a necessary one. It shows that he doesn't like his trust betrayed. It sets an example for other instances where a script will be leaked and maybe other filmmakers will do the same if it happens to them.

Oh man! That's horrible!

I hope he is ok in his multi million dollar house and he must not give up ! I hope these stupid people who take out his garbage who are always happy don't give him a hard time when he drives pass them with his ferrari and don't say hello.

I hope he is doing good. We don't want him to jump off his helicopter while he flies over the Bahamas ,do we?

Last edited:
Get the feeling all the people around tarantino during that vid were just being super polite while all thinking 'wtf is he on about?'.

I'd be pissed too if I knew one of my friends passed something along behind my back. Doubly so if it's a rough draft. But if it's just being passed around to agents, it's not like the viewing public is reading it ahead of time (which he knows, or he wouldn't consider publishing it as a book).

I respect QT for his work (even if I don't like most of it) and good on him for his success, but he's really coming across like a whiny teenager lately. Or maybe he always has, and I'm just noticing it these days.

Hell! I'd be super depressed too with tens of million dollars in the bank, an expensive house & car and millions of loyal fans who would see my movie even if was 2 hours of watching paint dry!

These things happen, if its your trust that's been hurt then simply tell the world who leaked it and in sure they'll get blacklisted and end up on the streets with a heroin habit while you continue to make mlilions

Hell! I'd be super depressed too with tens of million dollars in the bank, an expensive house & car and millions of loyal fans who would see my movie even if was 2 hours of watching paint dry!
...to be fair (I am not a QT fan at all, i'm on of the few people who seem to really dislike his films) none of those things would exactly stop depression. Sure, if someone was struggling to pay their rent each week or whatever, they'd probably have more triggers for depression. But these *things* don't prevent depression. However, I do agree it was an overreaction and he has possibly made a malapropism of the word "depression." But perhaps he does actually have issues with clinical depression, in which case something kind of irrational could set that off.

TL;DR society misuses the word depression, we're making too many assumptions, QT may have overreacted but he could be depressed, society as a whole doesn't know that much about depression

...to be fair (I am not a QT fan at all, i'm on of the few people who seem to really dislike his films) none of those things would exactly stop depression. Sure, if someone was struggling to pay their rent each week or whatever, they'd probably have more triggers for depression. But these *things* don't prevent depression. However, I do agree it was an overreaction and he has possibly made a malapropism of the word "depression." But perhaps he does actually have issues with clinical depression, in which case something kind of irrational could set that off.

TL;DR society misuses the word depression, we're making too many assumptions, QT may have overreacted but he could be depressed, society as a whole doesn't know that much about depression

Don't get me wrong, he may have other issues and things we don't know about. My poorly worded rant was simply directed at the above article. Plus I'm having a bad day and was venting a little, sorry if the above message offended anyone

Not sure what to make of this. He brings in money and I'll sure studios wouldn't want to let him go that easily. I'm sure we'll be seeing him working on something in the next year or two. Although I hope he takes a different direction away from what he's doing now. Kill Bill was fantastic, but every film by him since then has essentially been the same. Villain attacks/hurts main character, main character gets revenge. Same story, different setting. It would also be interesting to see him try out some other genres and styles as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of publicity stunt or way of attracting fans...

Well, maybe if he/we just substituted the word(s) depressed with "disappointed," or "let down"...

It is certainly of value to point out his probable misuse of the word depressed. But since so many of us use it so casually colloquially, all the time, and have for so long, I think he can be forgiven, right? :P We know what he means.

I suppose it's something like, his projects are like his babies, and this baby wasn't ready yet. And like it's been said, someone or someones screwed up...or outright betrayed his trust.

Not to mention that he's a pretty intense kind of guy. Maybe even a bit melodramatic? :)

I kind of wonder how much it can really matter? Like you said, Josh, it's only circulating among agents. Though I suppose it's only a matter of time before they share it beyond themselves?

I sympathize with him regarding his love for film. But when it comes to his "it's TV in public" dismissal of digital, I think he's being a luddite. I think he should get over it. I think he should learn to stop worrying and love digital. Digital is only going to get better, probably. What about RED's Dragon sensor, for instance? Even if it isn't really better than film (I suspect you might have some thoughts on that, Jax, ;) ), how long before someone does create a chip that betters film overall? And I suspect he will grow out of it. I'm not putting any money down on that bet. I think he just needs to vent a little, maybe lash out at it a bit. But maybe he'll come round after he gets that out of his system.

I heard him say in another interview (Charlie Rose) that he didn't intend to be an "old man director," as though there's something distasteful about being an old man director. Sounded a bit like ageism to me, so I didn't care much for the sentiment. But maybe that's not how he meant it.

Anyway! I'm not counting on either Tarantino or Soderbergh being able to really wash their hands of filmmaking...at least, not in the long run. =D

To be honest, I don't understand all the negative reactions here. His trust was betrayed, and that made him sad. Seems like a perfectly human reaction to me.

The very fact that you have access to the internet makes you one of the richest people in the world. The vast majority of the world would envy you, not specifically for your internet access, but simply for the fact that you have luxuries like this, and obviously have no problem simply feeding yourself. And yet, you get depressed from time to time, no?

My point? Everything is relative. Even rich people can get sad about stuff. QT is one of the most amazing directors to ever live, and he obviously pours his heart and soul into every project, so save your venom.

Back