Taking first step as an (amateur) film composer

Hello there. I am a self-taught musician(amateur viola player and a composer if can be called so), and want to find ways to get me promoted and projects I can contribute to.

There are really many posts on the internet about how to take a first step as a composer, but most of them are something not for my location or about network for those who major in music. And I don’t think they are all of the stories, you know, it is a world of internet!

I am currently restricted environment to compose freely ma, but I get to know portfolio is first and last if I want to do something. But what should be the contents of it? Like many say, replacing effect sound and background music of original with my ones? I have learned and composed for realization of melodies that came up with my mind(some sheets are on my musescore, but quite directionless) and never have seriously thought about promoting myself and getting to know what they need, yet.

So may I ask about tips for building my own portfolio, and finding those who need my composition? Thanks 😊

It depends on your musical style. I like artist that Perform life at experimental music events. Its where I meed people I want to work with. Also making compositions and putting it online can help. Helene Vogelsinger, HAINBACH and Throttleclark made a real name for themselves.

There are composing competitions. The cue tube just finished one. And there was a West world competition a couple months ago

Back