Table Reads

I've never hosted a table read, and I'm doing so tomorrow for a short. I have personal aquaintance with two of the four leads, and have never personally met the remainder of the cast. I know, it seems strange, but to throw pre-pro together in only a month's time, I hired a casting director with good taste.

Besides the fact, what are some key strategies to running a table read if you're the writer/director?

This is how I would do it
Use the actual cast (as the director you can read the bit parts), and highlight their lines out of courtesy. As the director, you want to see how the dialog flows, so have your own script and get ready to make notes in the sidelines. If you need to make long notes you can have them stop and start again, but when you start up again, start the scene over. If you want them to try it with the changes go for it, you have them there. Have water for everyone at the table, and offer a small snack. If you know there will be changes let them know they'll be getting a new script with minor changes, thank them for their time, and let them know everything went well.

This is how I would do it
Use the actual cast (as the director you can read the bit parts), and highlight their lines out of courtesy. As the director, you want to see how the dialog flows, so have your own script and get ready to make notes in the sidelines. If you need to make long notes you can have them stop and start again, but when you start up again, start the scene over. If you want them to try it with the changes go for it, you have them there. Have water for everyone at the table, and offer a small snack. If you know there will be changes let them know they'll be getting a new script with minor changes, thank them for their time, and let them know everything went well.

Thanks, and I'm glad I'm on the right track. When it comes down to it, it's a personable thing... you've got to know people to talk to them, and this is just the case. Chemistry needs to flow, and making them feel comfortable is probably the first thing to it.

I just shot a commercial for Vitamin Water, so I'll use the free case we got at the table read. Thanks so much for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Back