T5i price drop question

I've got the funds now to finally buy myself a camera and I was just wondering how soon will the t5i drop in price when the t6i is released? Given what's happened in the past, do you expect it to be a decent drop? Thanks.

I think the t3i is the go to option isn't it? most people tell me to get one. I don't know why, but I'm stubborn in this case and feel like I want something a bit better. Maybe I shouldn't think like this, it will be my first DSLR camera after all.

But I did see this, it seems like a good deal.

http://winnipeg.craigslist.ca/ele/4920012085.html

$2000 is a lot of money, but I am the kind of person who loves deals. When do you think a deal for the t3i will happen?

it will be my first DSLR camera after all.

All the more reason to get a t3i, the cheaper option.

The obvious question is.. have you budgeted for everything else?
take a look at how expensive lenses are. you're going to need multiple lenses.

unless you have a specific reason for getting the t5i that hasn't been mentioned, you'd be far better off getting a really nice lens and then a t3i instead of a really cheap lens and a t5i.

Misc batteries and cords, Sound recorder, multiple microphones and of course lights.

Last edited:
I definitely hear ya. I'll probably end up going with a t3i for that reason alone, as lenses hold value better, and I'll need a bunch of equipment later on. But I find if I buy everything off the bat I won't realize how valuable they really are, you know what I mean? Like, if I always have audio equipment, I'll never appreciate them since I don't really know how bad it is without them. Same goes with lenses. Am I making sense? :P

Unless you're making a silent film, the lack of audio equipment is the surest way to make sure no one will watch anything you make.

I certainly wouldn't want to waste my time creating something no one will watch. But we all make films for different reasons, I suppose.

If your reason for creating films is so you can appreciate lacking equipment then have at it and make something lousy.

I feel like making lousy films is fine when starting out. It makes you realize the importance of the equipment you'll eventually need. It gives you more reason to want said equipment and value said equipment. I could buy it all at once, but I'm not rich and I'd rather complete the puzzle piece by piece instead of buying it already completed.

lousy films and equipment have nothing to do with each other....

you need to decide your film industry role and focus on that, if you want to be DP with camera operator attributes then buy a camera, if you want to be a director, then im pretty sure you could find someone for free to help you make short films...

but a t3i with a Sigma 18-35 and a sigma 70-200 will get you everything you need...

or you could get a hacked GH2 and get Nikon Mount lenses.. or a gh3 which is going farely cheap these days...

So many Ellipsis'! haha

I think that's a strong statement, that lousy film and equipment have nothing to do with each other. If that were the case people wouldn't be shelling out loads of cash to buy the good stuff.

Don't worry though, I know what you meant. Good film relies on many aspects, you can't just fake it with $3000 equipment.

I will likely get a t3i with a couple of lenses and some audio equipment, and a tripod. I've learned a lot on here. But I just wonder when the best time to buy is. I shouldn't care so much, really. Time with the equipment is more valuable. I did find a great website however, check it out. (Seems like it's only good for canadians though)

http://www.photoprice.ca

It eases my mind to see the t3i was like $1356 3 years ago and now I can get it for around $500.

Unless you're already invested a bunch in lenses, and since you've said that $2,000 isn't totally out of reach, I would go with the a7s. That's just one person's opinion, but I don't think it will be long before DSLRs go the way of the HD camcorder in favor of 4k-shooting cameras with incredible (and I mean kookoo-bananas awesome) low-light capabilities.

If (and when) that happens, I foresee a used t[x]i going for a song on ebay.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.
Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

No matter what else you do, GET THE SOUND RIGHT!!!

Back