T3i / T4i: Please guide me

Hi,

I am looking for DSL mainly for videos (doco/shorts). I figured out, that for my budget Canon EOS Rebel would be feasible for me.

I want to buy Rebel t4i that is going to be launched in the last week of this month, but, its bit heavy on my pocket.

My question is what I will lose if I get EOS T3i over T4i? I know in T4i there is DIGIC 5 and an automatic focus that are main differentiators. Are these feature really must that I will lose much if I get T3i?

Looking forward,

Regards,

Riz

Does the canon 50mm f1.8 have image stabilization? I guess image stabilization is a must for video. No?

No It doesn't. And its not really a must for video. Better to have REAL stabilization, i.e. tripod, good shoulder rig etc. If your DIY, and MUST go handheld go with a FIG RIG style , easy build and makes a big difference right off.

With practice you can get OK handheld with nothing but the camera using the VIEW FINDER, my first test shots with the t2i and canon 50mm f1.8 were hand held with no rig. I smashed it against my face and held my elbows into my ribs.. 3 points of contact on the camera really helped. Iv had lots of practice before this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN_FQTyyKMw

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for feedback. One thing I noticed that the focus ring of Canon 50mm 1.8 is right on the edge and bit thin. Did you guys find any issue with that. And yeah I am convinced of that prime would be better than zoom one. But what about that artistic zoom out-of-focus/in-focus effect by the zoom lens :)

I think the focus ring is fine on the 50mm 1.8. And are you talking about rack focusing? That doesn't involve zooming, it just involves focusing on an object/person, then quickly pulling focus to another object/person in the foreground/background. It's entirely possible with the 50mm 1.8. Unless you're talking about something else?

rack focusing with the 50mm f1.8 is hardish.. its not only the position of the focus ring, but it has very short throw.. meaning just a little turn goes a LONG way..

I was able to get one of my Follow Focus gears to stick on there.. by first using a rubber band around the focus ring.. but it was never very solid feeling..

rack focusing with the 50mm f1.8 is hardish.. its not only the position of the focus ring, but it has very short throw.. meaning just a little turn goes a LONG way..

I was able to get one of my Follow Focus gears to stick on there.. by first using a rubber band around the focus ring.. but it was never very solid feeling..

Yeah, it's not as easy as with some lenses, but it can be done.

Back