T3i / T4i: Please guide me

Hi,

I am looking for DSL mainly for videos (doco/shorts). I figured out, that for my budget Canon EOS Rebel would be feasible for me.

I want to buy Rebel t4i that is going to be launched in the last week of this month, but, its bit heavy on my pocket.

My question is what I will lose if I get EOS T3i over T4i? I know in T4i there is DIGIC 5 and an automatic focus that are main differentiators. Are these feature really must that I will lose much if I get T3i?

Looking forward,

Regards,

Riz

The T3i has automatic audio gain control and noisy preamps which make it difficult if not impossible to use in-camera audio. The T4i has manual audio gain control, which should make in-camera audio at least usable. For what it's worth, it also has autofocus with silent lenses, something I have had for a year and a half with my GH2 and found very useful.

Question - do you plan any long takes in your documentaries? If you get the T3i, don't plan on any shots longer than 12 minutes because of the camera's clip length limit. With the T4i, the limit is raised to 22 minutes. Again, long clips are something that the GH2 excels at, with its unlmited clip length.

I guess you can tell that I think the $850 T4i is worth the money for its advantages over the $610 T3i - but that it doesn't measure up to the $750 GH2.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve.

Bill, Thanks. I have heard lot about GH2. But you know the two kings (or not so kings) don't let think other brands.

But I have heard lot about GH2 and in praising words.

May be you would eventually make me go for that.

Regards,

Riz

Thanks Steve.

Bill, Thanks. I have heard lot about GH2. But you know the two kings (or not so kings) don't let think other brands.

But I have heard lot about GH2 and in praising words.

May be you would eventually make me go for that.

Regards,

Riz

Thanks, Riz. Here is a list of the best GH1 and GH2 films that I have found.

It is in the "shot by a GH1 or GH2" thread.

To be fair, here is the indietalk thread on "shot by a Canon! T2i T3i etc...".

Good luck with your decision!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no camera expert, but I'm not seeing the benefit of a T4i over a T3i. (Also, the only real benefit from the T3i from the T2i was the addition of the flip-screen)

Issues with AGC in earlier models of the Canon DSLRs are quite easily remedied with the free Magic Lantern updates. ML also allows for setting levels for the internal mic, while also recording an external at different levels.

A good lens (and good lighting & good composition & good acting & good editing & good audio & good post-prod & good story) will turn out pretty well on either a T2# or a GH#

Hello,

Pardon my ignorance, but, please let me know what is AGC problem how critical is not being (or being) rectified by Magic Lantern.

Looking forward,

Regards,

Riz

Hello,

Pardon my ignorance, but, please let me know what is AGC problem how critical is not being (or being) rectified by Magic Lantern.

Looking forward,

Regards,

Riz

AGC (Automatic Gain Control) is an audio problem with most DSLR's. I'm not sure about the specific technology behind it, but more or less it means that the audio from the internal mic will provide a hissing sound, and even using an external mic hooked up to the mic input may still provide some hissing, depending on circumstances. Magic Lantern is a firmware update available for the t2i, 60D, and 5D. They've gotten some of the firmware to work on the t3i but not the ability to disable AGC. Eventually I would imagine they'll have the ability to disable AGC on the t3i. Regardless, you probably will want to use an external audio recorder and shotgun mic, preferably with an XLR input but a good 1/8 inch input will work fine to start. From my experiences, the t3i will give you usable, but not "pro" audio with a Rode Videomic Pro hooked up directly to the camera. Even without AGC, you're going to want to use an external recorder if you're doing dialogue-heavy narrative filmmaking. Just my amateur-ish advice though, I would imagine Alcove or one of the audio post guys could provide more insight.

Thanks Steve for detailed reply. Appreciated. Shall I decide not to go for T3i based on that AGC thing or it is something that can be tackled. Some suggest that T2i is more economical but in my opinion LCD monitor.

I like my T3i. I would personally have a pretty difficult time without the articulating LCD screen but that's just me. I don't think the lack of ability to remove AGC from the T3i should prevent you from getting it.

Some suggest that T2i is more economical but in my opinion LCD monitor.

I ordered my T2i after the T3i came out, and took advantage of the $100 price difference.

When I received my T2i, I first thought I'd made a mistake not getting the model with the swivel-screen. In the long run, I think I made the right choice 'cos I bought a large external field monitor anyway - much more useful for focusing than the screen on the camera. Essentially, I saved bux on the camera model, and put that towards the external monitor.

As far as audio - you'd want to be trying to get the best audio possible, and that's typically going to be via a separate audio recorder anyway. If you must rely on audio being recorded straight into your camera (either onboard mic or even beachtek unit), then being able to turn AGC off is pretty important. The hissing noise that AGC generates is quite impressive.

I spent absolutely ages deciding over which DSLR to get, i looked at t2i, t3i, 60D, 7D and GH2.

I finally decided to get a t3i, the swivel screen did win it for me over the t2i, i also chose the t3i over the gh2 because i felt the gh2 was too little and felt like a toy in my hands (a decision i made for the t3i as i wanted to take professional pictures also).

I also went for the t3i over the 60d and 7d (which was above my budget) because i thought if i go for a slightly lower model i can use the money i saved on a couple of nice lenses and audio equipment (Zoom h4n and Rode NTG-1 Mic)

You have to remember in this day and age of film making any dslr you pic up will give you a half decent image, but its the person controlling that image which makes the image great! Simply buying a better DSLR wont instantly give you a better image.... composition, lighting and knowing your camera well will.
The first little bits i shot with my t3i are rubbish! but the more ive got used to it the more i love what i can do with it and the better the results i am getting.

The main downside of using a dslr i have found is...... i recently shot a dance festival and i found it really hard to manually keep things in focus with so much movement on screen especially when using a wide aperture.

So in conclusion, if it were me i would go for a cheaper option but pimp it up with some good accessories.... remember technology at the moment is changing so fast even if you get the top camera its likely to be out of date by next year!

Thanks Absolution Films. You think auto-focus this that is much critical to go for more expensive model T4i?

Please guide me what lens to go for, kit 18-55 or some prime lens. I want to make documentaries and short films. Please suggest me one reasonably prices lens for me. Thanking you in anticipation.

Absolution Films gives you very good advice. Start with whatever DSLR you can afford, and spend the rest of lenses, lights, etc. It's not like the difference between a T3i and a 60D, for example, is glaring; with the right techniques, you can make great footage from a T3i, and with the wrong techniques, poor footage from a 5D.

Re: auto focus. Not worth it for the T4i in my opinion. Auto focusing is useful at times but you really want to be pulling focus yourself. I wouldn't trust a computer to make critical focus decisions for me when I'm making films.

As for the lens, the most popular starting lens these days with the Canon DSLR's seems to be 50mm f/1.8. It's a good introductory prime lens for filmmaking. It's what I picked up with my T3i and I like it. If you can afford it, the 50mm f/1.4 is a better lens, but the f/1.8 is a fine lens to start. It all depends on your budget. The 50mm f/1.8 is about $100, and you can get a great prime lens for over $1000. I don't know a lot about lenses (still learning) but if you have a higher budget than the $100-200 range, I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. I will say that when I was shopping for my T3i, some filmmaker friends and my filmmaking professor steered me away from the kit lens and towards the 50mm prime lens.

Absolution Films gives you very good advice. Start with whatever DSLR you can afford, and spend the rest of lenses, lights, etc. It's not like the difference between a T3i and a 60D, for example, is glaring; with the right techniques, you can make great footage from a T3i, and with the wrong techniques, poor footage from a 5D.

Re: auto focus. Not worth it for the T4i in my opinion. Auto focusing is useful at times but you really want to be pulling focus yourself. I wouldn't trust a computer to make critical focus decisions for me when I'm making films.

As for the lens, the most popular starting lens these days with the Canon DSLR's seems to be 50mm f/1.8. It's a good introductory prime lens for filmmaking. It's what I picked up with my T3i and I like it. If you can afford it, the 50mm f/1.4 is a better lens, but the f/1.8 is a fine lens to start. It all depends on your budget. The 50mm f/1.8 is about $100, and you can get a great prime lens for over $1000. I don't know a lot about lenses (still learning) but if you have a higher budget than the $100-200 range, I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. I will say that when I was shopping for my T3i, some filmmaker friends and my filmmaking professor steered me away from the kit lens and towards the 50mm prime lens.

Does the canon 50mm f1.8 have image stabilization? I guess image stabilization is a must for video. No?

Thanks Steve for feedback. One thing I noticed that the focus ring of Canon 50mm 1.8 is right on the edge and bit thin. Did you guys find any issue with that. And yeah I am convinced of that prime would be better than zoom one. But what about that artistic zoom out-of-focus/in-focus effect by the zoom lens :)

Back