T3 vs. T3i

So I was able to actually get my hands on a functioning DSLR for the first (though short) time today. For one thing, about ten seconds of usage further convinced me that I need one of these things more than oxygen. But one thing interested me: the model I was using was a Canon Eos Rebel T3-not the T3i, which I've been looking into. As far as I can tell, the only differences between the two are a smaller MP count and the lack of a swiveling LCD screen-for $200 less. As a complete beginner, should I save the $200 and get the T3 when I can, or are the six extra megapixels worth it? Are there more differences that I'm unaware of (especially if it's along the lines of 720p vs. 1080p)? What would you all recommend?

EDIT: Okay, just looked into it... it's only capable of 720p. Personally, I'd prefer 1080, but do you guys think for a first-timer short film (most likely distributed through YouTube and standard-def DVDs) it would end up kind of insignificant?

Last edited:
Technically there are a lot of other differences between the t3 and the t3i which make the latter better both in terms of photography and video. Quality and the ease (more functions, focus method and points, metering modes , lcd res etc etc) through which you can achieve your shot.

Im sure you can do a google search and read the different specs of each.

As for your question about being a first timer/online dist/standard def dvds, the difference is not going to come from 720p vs 1080p. The difference is mainly going to come from your production design, sound quality, cinematography and story.

I really enjoy my t3i..i almost made the mistake of buying a t3 from sams club for really really cheap with lense....
I bought a t3i body only and currently own and bidding for a few more vintage lenses to keep costs down.
I like the camera alot! but its a lot of camera to learn as well.

i have the T3i / 600D here in the UK, and its awesome. its my first SLR and i use it mainly for film's and commercial work. keep the kit lens then head to ebay and buy some cheap M42 lens's i picked up a 50mm f1.8 and a 35mm f2.8 each for around £30! The lens are older than me but give fantastic results considering the price.

Back