T2i Shootable out of box?

I really really want to get a camera so I can starting shooting on my own and am seriously considering a T2i. The footage I have seen looks incredible and for less than $800 the camera seems like a steal. I am ok with the 12 minute shoot limit. I just want to know if the camera is ready to shoot out of the box? Will I have to buy a lens immediately or is it something I can hold off on while I learn my camera?

I have the T2i w/ the 18-55 IS lens and I just got me a 24mm 2.8, a 50mm 1.8, and a 135 2.8.

I saved some dough by getting the 24 & the 135 in a Contax/Yashica mount w/ an adapter. Just got thru playin w/ them outside. I feel this will allow me a great deal of flexibility in my shooting. I got the 24 2.8 brand new from Adorama for $59 and the 135 for mebbe $69 used.

I think next will be an 85mm and if I get rich mebbe a 10mm and I'll be set.

.:cool:

Well I did it. On Dec 2 I will be the new owner of a T2i with kit lens ( I also bought the 50mm f/1.8 since it was only $99) and a 16 gig memory card. This should give me something to monkey around with for a while till I save up for a tripod.

I was playing around w/ my T2i. I think I had the aperture set at 22 for both lenses. Had the shutter speed up to 400 or 800 and ISO mebbe 1600 to 3200 to get this. I did not move the cam from one cut to the other. Notice the perspective compression in the 2nd half from using the long lens ( 135 )

I down sized it to 720x480 before uploading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCynmugeFK0

Last edited:
So I got my T2i today and... honestly it feels like I am wielding excalibur in my hands. I hooked up to my 50" plasma TV and just messed around with the settings very cool. When I uploaded the video though to my computer the footage though seemed to skip? Is this because I have a crappy computer? That said so far I am really impressed it feels so much more natural than my schools old Sony's

Somewhere between crappy and obsolete. A new computer is next on my agenda. I am looking at the imac i-7.

We've had the Mac vs PC debate countless times before, and we never really get anywhere, because there are valid points on both sides. So, it might be stupid for me to re-open this debate, but considering that your budget is very tight, I feel like I must mention PC.

There are disadvantages to a PC, for sure. However, if you want a powerful computer, one that can handle DSLR footage, you'll spend considerably less on a PC. I feel like my PC is just about the bare-minimum for editing this stuff, and I got it for $800. You'd have to spend nearly twice as much to get a Mac that's comparible to my PC.

EDIT: Actually, I just took a look at the prices on the i7's, and I guess I exaggerated, if you consider the fact that I already had a monitor for my PC, when I bought it. If you add $200 (what I would've spent on a decent monitor), that's $1,000 for my PC, whereas the i7 equivalent goes for $1,500. It might be worth the extra cost for you -- I just figured you should know your options.

Last edited:
We've had the Mac vs PC debate countless times before, and we never really get anywhere, because there are valid points on both sides. So, it might be stupid for me to re-open this debate, but considering that your budget is very tight, I feel like I must mention PC.

There are disadvantages to a PC, for sure. However, if you want a powerful computer, one that can handle DSLR footage, you'll spend considerably less on a PC. I feel like my PC is just about the bare-minimum for editing this stuff, and I got it for $800. You'd have to spend nearly twice as much to get a Mac that's comparible to my PC.

Oh I know about the Mac vs PC debate. I am a PC guy all the way but in one of my editing classes we focused on FCP and we used brand new Imacs. I fell in love with FCP. So simple and streamlined. Regardless of cost per performance I think I am going to go with Apple for once in my life.

OK now that I discovered that I can actually do a rack focus I am officially in love with this camera. On my schools Sony DV cam I had an idea for a cool shot involving a rack focus and I could not get it to work. Either everything was in focus or everything was blurry. Completely ruined the effect I was going for. This is awesome.

Last edited:
Im in the who cares camp if Hi-def stuff skips on my computer. i can edit it and then get a great MP4 HD out of it w/ some shearing. Heck I have a i5 w/ 1gb video card even. I might need to check to see if Im configured right for my vid card, but Im lazy.

Im in the who cares camp if Hi-def stuff skips on my computer. i can edit it and then get a great MP4 HD out of it w/ some shearing. Heck I have a i5 w/ 1gb video card even. I might need to check to see if Im configured right for my vid card, but Im lazy.

I get the impression that he isn't talking about jumpiness during editing, but in just trying to watch the Quicktime file. The situation is pretty dire if you can't even watch an HD Quicktime file. As for jumpiness in editing, I would definitely prefer to do without it, but I feel like it didn't ruin my edit at all.

Yeah I was talking about just playing the file. It'd play regularly for about 2 seconds then would jump. I think recorded a new clip in standard definition that plays fine. Too much info for my 4 year old computer. She was good while she lasted though. Many years of World of Warcraft on her.

:lol:

Nah, it's like a feather. It falls over when you fart. I think he meant it metaphorically, more for it's capabilities.

Lolol, when i read it i immediately flashed to the first time i held a 7D and the first thought i had was that the thing was heavier than i expected it to be. Not that it's super heavy or anything, it just surprised me.

Lolol, when i read it i immediately flashed to the first time i held a 7D and the first thought i had was that the thing was heavier than i expected it to be. Not that it's super heavy or anything, it just surprised me.

Try a day with the 5D, battery grip, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS* in the South of France in mid-August. Ow. :weird:

(*None of which are mine, sadly.)

Both are right. The t2i is bigger and heavier than the sony hdr hc9 I was using in class and the power I felt when I hooked it up to my 50in plasma TV was astounding. I loved it.

Back