T2i - Severe Image Quality Issue

Hey guys,

I've been having a heck of a time getting any decent video whatsoever out of my camera. Everything I shoot no matter the ISO or lens used has severe noise/artifacts in most of the frame, notably shadows. I am using a Fotodiox lens adapter with good Pentax lenses, if that has anything to do with it, and using the neutral profile in camera with contrast and sharpness turned down a bit. At first I thought it was my render settings but, alas, that is not the case.

Have any of your experienced this, or any suggestions as to what might be causing it?

Samples:

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/rlf1810/12-6-20103-39-19PM.jpg

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/rlf1810/12-6-201010-53-27AM.jpg

P.S. This camera is brand new, I've used it for <200 photos or videos.

-Robert

Last edited:
Have you got any screenshots we could have a look at?

Suggestions:
1. Try your camera with a Canon lens, and try your lenses on another camera. It's possible there's something funky going on with them.
2. Take some stills and see if the same problems are apparent.
3. Try a different memory card, one that you know has worked in another device. If it's corrupted, it might be creating problems with your footage.
4. You mentioned render settings - are we talking on a computer? If so, look at the raw files and see if they exhibit the same artefacts.
5. Consider sending it back to Canon for repair. If the sensor or electronics have problems, let the pros sort it out.

Good luck!

Everything I shoot no matter the ISO or lens used has severe noise/artifacts in most of the frame, notably shadows.t

Check to see if the same happens when ur ISO is at 100 or 200 and ur recording during daytime. If the noise doesnt show up then it means your setting ur ISO too high and/or recording under poor lighting conditions.

If the problem still persists, post some screenshots so we can take a better look.

Last edited:
When testing the photo quality, if the problem persists in Manual mode, switch to auto and see if it makes a difference if you let the camera decide what settings...

Also, what is the environment in which you're shooting, how high are the light levels? How many and what kinds of lights (type and wattage) are on the scene?

Check to see if the same happens when ur ISO is at 100 or 200 and ur recording during daytime. If the noise doesnt show up then it means your setting ur ISO too high and/or recording under poor lighting conditions.

If the problem still persists, post some screenshots so we can take a better look.

Try this and post pics.

And i can barely make out anything in the pics u posted. Must be really dark so that noise seems normal.

Looks like not enough light (and out of focus) to me.

Add light, open iris (lower f-stop or t-stop numbers) should get you what you're looking for.

"Good in low light" ignores the fact that low light sucks for filmmakers to begin with.

12-6-20109-55-46AM.jpg

What ISO were those shot at? They don't look like anything out of the ordinary for a shot with really low-light, but it's hard to tell when it's just out of focus nothingness. Do as Gonzo says and take some photos outside in broad daylight - and tell us the camera settings.

Ok I'll try and clear this up.. The screens I'm posting in this reply were taken from a video captured in manual mode at ISO 200 in late morning light, 1080p at 24fps, 1/50th shutter speed, aperture 5.6 using a Pentax SMC-M F1.7 lens with Fotodiox PK-EOS lens mount adapter using the neutral profile in camera with sharpness and contrast turned down two notches.

Again, the problem occurs at ALL iso settings and lighting situations, and with every (Pentax) lens I've tried. I'm hoping that the issue is with the lens adapter but I don't want to shell out for Canon lenses if the problem lies elsewhere. My background is in photography so I know I'm exposing properly and not doing anything ridiculous with the settings.

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/rlf1810/12-6-20103-39-19PM.jpg

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt156/rlf1810/12-6-201010-53-27AM.jpg

Thanks for all the replies so far, hopefully you guys can tell me what's going on.

So, leaving all the other settings the same, and cranking the ISO to 400 or 800, or opening the aperature to 2.8 (or 1.7) would have no effect... You have the right shutter speed for 24P. I wouldn't mess with that, but you're potentially losing some light from the adapter (not sure the specifics of the type you're using).

Last edited:
Go to a local photography store with your camera body and see if they'll let you try a couple of Canon lenses. Snap some shots and compare at home.

Or if they dont, just rent a Canon 50mm for the weekend.

Wow, that's strange. First shot looks like it could be ISO 800 or 1600. Very peculiar.

Is the adaptor an optical one, or just a straight mount?

Wow, that's strange. First shot looks like it could be ISO 800 or 1600. Very peculiar.

Is the adaptor an optical one, or just a straight mount?

I know, right? It's just a metal adapter ring to fit the connections on the camera body. There are no optics involved at all. The thing is, I've seen this same used online at it looks 1000x better. I'm hoping this isn't a sensor issue..

Back