news Sydney Sweeney Cut Some Nude Scenes in ‘Euphoria’: ‘I Don’t Really Think That’s Necessary’

Even the next generation of talent can still see a gender-based stigma in Hollywood.

Euphoria” breakout star Sydney Sweeney, who has become a darling of casting directors thanks to roles in HBO’s “Sharp Objects” and “The White Lotus,” opened up about feeling dismissed and overly-sexualized for her recurring nude scenes in the teen-centric drama.

“This is something that has bothered me for a while,” Sweeney told The Independent (via E! Online). “I’m very proud of my work in ‘Euphoria.’ I thought it was a great performance. But no one talks about it because I got naked.”

Sweeney recalled, “I do ‘The White Lotus’ and all of a sudden critics are paying attention. People are loving me. They’re going, ‘Oh my God, what’s she doing next?’ I was like, ‘Did you not see that in ‘Euphoria’?”

The 24-year-old rising star spoke out against the “stigma against actresses who get naked on screen,” saying that she’s been more conscious about her nude scenes in the latest season of “Euphoria,” which premiered January 9.

“When a guy has a sex scene or shows his body, he still wins awards and gets praise,” Sweeney explained. “But the moment a girl does it, it’s completely different.”

She added, “I’ve never felt like [creator] Sam [Levinson] has pushed it on me or was trying to get a nude scene into an HBO show. There are moments where Cassie was supposed to be shirtless and I would tell Sam, ‘I don’t really think that’s necessary here.’ He was like, ‘OK, we don’t need it.'”

Sweeney summed up, “When I didn’t want to do it, he didn’t make me.”

Sweeney’s collaborative work on “Euphoria” is sadly different than what she’s endured in the past. “I’ve had experiences,” she revealed, “where I want to go home and scrub myself completely raw because I feel disgusting.”

And some fans have blurred the lines between Sweeney’s onscreen performances and her real life, including tagging her younger brother in a naked photo of her in-character online.

“That was the most hurtful thing that anybody could do,” Sweeney reflected. “What I do is completely separate from my family. My character is completely separate to me. It’s just so disrespectful and distressing.”

"the most hurtful thing anybody can do [is tag someone online]" LOL wut???
What a nice sheltered life she must lead when the WORST thing anyone can do is an online tag.

She doesn't seem to understand that being in a world famous television show isn't a private thing.

Last edited:
All caught up to season 2 now on euphoria - i have never seen so many penises in a show before.
also everybody but zendaya gets naked in this show.

In a scene where they all get naked and even zendaya has to, the show goes out of the way with a whole side skit just specifically to avoid showing zendaya. it breaks the 4th wall and was really unnatural and awkward.

I just imagine her on set thinking she is better than everyone else
"I don't get naked. I'm in spiderman! bitch you get naked!" lol

shouldn't do a show where every single person on the show gets naked but you, just my opinion.
feels like youre not willing to be part of the team and youre better than everyone else

funny because that is the exact opposite of the stigma this article is talking about. im judging her for not getting naked lol.
also article talking about removing nudity but here we have a scene where it was so awkward NOT to show her nudity that it actually breaks the 4th wall. and all you can do is sit there and think for like 5 minutes that they are just making up ways to avoid showing the character naked bc of the actress playing her.

Last edited:
Back