Switching to an EVIL camera

So I was thinking of switching to a GH2, and more than likely hacking it.
I like my Canon XA10, but i feel to become a better cinematographer, I need to learn about a using different lenses.
I am used to cameras without changeable lens, so I want to jump ship and begin to use them.
After I finish a couple of projects, I will sell my xa10 and take the plunge.

My question is what are a good set of prime and zoom lenses I should look into? the biggest problem seems to be the crop factor the of the camera, which seems to almost double.
I know for sure I would want a couple of primes, such as a 28mm and 50. What other suggestions?

Thank you for the time.

FWIW:

The 14-42 kit lens isn't really all that great. I picked up one of these:

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-Zuiko-14-54mm-II-f-2-8-3-5-Digital-Lens-Factory-Demo-45023.cfm

With one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ISKNKK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

As my "walking around lens." It's more $$, but vastly superior to the Panny kit lens. Has a nice look, and is 2.8 at the wide end, 3.5 at the long. Gives a net focal range of 28-104 (approx.) which is pretty good.

The 14-42 a 3.5-5.6 lens, likely to be 5.6 on the long end of the lens IIRC. Worse case it is 5.6 at each end, and only 3.5 in the middle of the range. Can't recall, only used it for the briefest time.

/$0.02

FWIW:

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-Zuiko-14-54mm-II-f-2-8-3-5-Digital-Lens-Factory-Demo-45023.cfm

With one of these:

As my "walking around lens." It's more $$, but vastly superior to the Panny kit lens. Has a nice look, and is 2.8 at the wide end, 3.5 at the long. Gives a net focal range of 28-104 (approx.) which is pretty good.

The 14-42 a 3.5-5.6 lens, likely to be 5.6 on the long end of the lens IIRC. Worse case it is 5.6 at each end, and only 3.5 in the middle of the range. Can't recall, only used it for the briefest time.

/$0.02

As much as I would like it, that if far out of my budget. But I have ideas on what I want.
Another question is, should I stick to one brand? I have heard that different companies make different glass looking glass, as far as video mode goes.

Regarding the 14-42 kit.
Not very exciting, but like I said, the Optical Image Stabilization is pretty good.

The hood mounted shots from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69uJxNNvZM8 used the kit lens with OIS on.

( I should upload just that clip with no grade.. but meh)

FWIW:

With one of these:

/$0.02

I use the same one as walk around. it's pretty good. No IS and focus could be faster but I like it and don't regret the purchase.

There's also a 14-45mm that's pricier than the 14-42 but a lot better. And it's cheaper I think than the Oly.

I use the same one as walk around. it's pretty good. No IS and focus could be faster but I like it and don't regret the purchase.

There's also a 14-45mm that's pricier than the 14-42 but a lot better. And it's cheaper I think than the Oly.

Agreed on all three points. I don't miss the IS yet, as I've never had a lens that used it. :D Probably when I drop coin on nicer glass I'll smack myself and wonder why I ever lived without it, :lol:

Are you using the Panny or Oly m4/3->4/3 adapter? I grabbed the panny but it seems to have the smallest amount of play. (between adapter and body). Wondering if the Oly is better. When I get back to the states I should still be within the Amazon return threshold and have no problems swapping them out.

I'll also throw out a recommendation for Cameta. They carry a large number of refurbished factory demos with an extended (1year) warranty. Fast shipping and I got the lens+adapter+BW filter for less than the cost of the lens itself new.

As much as I would like it, that if far out of my budget. But I have ideas on what I want.
Another question is, should I stick to one brand? I have heard that different companies make different glass looking glass, as far as video mode goes.

Understandable. I wasn't sure where you stood on budget, so wanted to make the suggestion. I'm quite pleased with the Oly I got, at least for photography, haven't really given it a run on a video yet. If you're on a budget, don't stress matched lenses so much. The best camera is the one you have. (by extension, the one you can afford). As you go farther along, if you decide that your focus is cinematography, you can obsess over getting a set of matched primes (or zooms i guess). Until that point work with what you have/can get and build the skills. Skills > Equipment all day long.

@wheat -> nice clip my man. And what a great car! Looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited:
Agreed on all three points. I don't miss the IS yet, as I've never had a lens that used it. :D Probably when I drop coin on nicer glass I'll smack myself and wonder why I ever lived without it, :lol:

Are you using the Panny or Oly m4/3->4/3 adapter? I grabbed the panny but it seems to have the smallest amount of play. (between adapter and body). Wondering if the Oly is better.

I got the Panny. And this weekend it gave me a big fat headache. A close friend asked me to film her bro's wedding (unpaid). I'm not a wedding guy, so it was just a favor. It's stressful when the bridal procession starts, no take 2 right? So parents and flower girls are walking down the aisle, Bride is on deck, I've got the GH2 on a shoulder mount and BEEP! It's stops recording. What? Okay, I hit rec again, 3 seconds later BEEP! stops recording. I'm screwed. Must be the flash card -- too many in camera formats perhaps. Bride will be on in about 20 seconds. I've never changed a flash card so fast. I reload, power up, hit rec, BEEP! this isn't happening. Hit rec again, bride has started her approach. BEEP! Why did I agree to do this? GH2 has never let me down in almost two years of use and 3 different units. Hit REC it holds. I'm trembling. Sweating. My unmanned GH2 is hopefully picking up the slack and not cutting out.
An hour or so later, I get a break and diagnose. The Panny adapter DOES have play in it, in my tension, using a shoulder mount and cradling the lens, operating the zoom, I was applying just enough torque to unseat the adapters electrical contacts which shut down the camera. Camera was fine, adapter was the issue and it burnt me.

I came up with a list of what lens I think I will get.
the 14.42 lens with the GH2
minolta 50mm f1.4
minolta 35mm f2.8
minolta 70-210 f4

The primes open up fairly well of course. The zooms not to much, but with the right amount of light, they will do just fine.
I just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered with various focal lengths.
Since they are all minolta lens (the panasonic lens aside), I just need one mount for now, and they seem to do pretty well.

So here is my lens selection:
Minolta
45mm f2
50mm f1.7
135mm f3.5
80-200mm f4.5

Nikon
35mm f2
85mm f1.8

And the panasonic 14mm-42mm kit lens.
The nikons are some old glass I got from my aunt's father, who was a professional photographer back in his day. The minolta I got from Craiglist and my friend. Considering I spent about 60 for all the minolta, I think I got a good deal.

I got the Panny. And this weekend it gave me a big fat headache.....

Circling back around to this; I found an Oly MMF-2 at a local camera shop. Vastly superior contact between the camera body and the adapter. Where the panasonic would shift when simply adjusting zoom or focus, this one stays put. It's not perfect, perhaps the version 3 is better (and sealed iirc), but this one does stay in place unless there is significant torque (the kind that shouldn't be exherted on camera parts anyway).

The panasonic is about to head back to whatever poor sod sold it to me through Amazon.

Circling back around to this; I found an Oly MMF-2 at a local camera shop. Vastly superior contact between the camera body and the adapter. Where the panasonic would shift when simply adjusting zoom or focus, this one stays put. It's not perfect, perhaps the version 3 is better (and sealed iirc), but this one does stay in place unless there is significant torque (the kind that shouldn't be exherted on camera parts anyway).

The panasonic is about to head back to whatever poor sod sold it to me through Amazon.
Thanks good tip.

Back