• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Superhero Films

There has been a new genre of films that has made it's home in hollywood in the last decade. A new wave of Superhero films has carved itself in cinema. X-men, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Ironman, Hulk, fantastic Four.... Next we have, Flash, Captain America, Thor, Green lantern,And even.... The Avengers. Alon with another Superman Reboot. And most of these films are actually good. I guess there's only one thing we can do... talk about it! Make fun of it! Make our own.

But what Superhero hasn't had a film that deserves one? I would like to write a superhero script sometime in the future as a learning process. For fun. But, I want some ideas from my trusty Indie film friends. First, tell me your favortie Superhero, or hero film, and tell me why you like it. Then, tell me a superhero they havent made.

The Toxic Avenger is by far my favorite super hero. As far as all of these super hero films coming out , I feel they are leaning to much on CGI and not enough on writing/story line. I think they should come up with a new super hero, something people can relate to like Fast food man , or Plumber man who carries around a steel pipe to knock fear into evil doers or defeats them with a plunger. Than again that is just me , a drunkin director

As much as I like the big Hollywood blockbuster superhero films like Iron Man and The Dark Knight and whatnot, I am a huge fan of those modern, realistic, what if an ordinary guy were a superhero type film. Two of my most favourite superhero films are Hancock and Unbreakable. Now you don't have to be plumber man to connect, but the concept of real people with special abilities is only really being touched on in the last 10 years and even still, there are far and few and even fewer good ones (Heroes being an example of a not so good one). Anyways, with Hancock, it explored what if an essentially regular, drunk guy had powers. It was a cool concept, especially when they got into the whole history of Hancock bit. But my favourite superhero film is Unbreakable, because it's simple. A regular guy, with a failing marriage just wants to live his life and do good essentially. He's quiet, reclusive and is the average father/husband figure which pretty much everyone relates to. But he has this yearning, this feeling that he's not who he's supposed to be (we connect with that too, we always want to be something more). In the end, he is a superhero, but he doesn't have fancy powers and flashy tricks which is sort of what's happening in the Hollywood films, but he's simply Unbreakable. He doesn't fly or shoot laser beams, he just simply can't get hurt. More of that style hero needs to be explored in my opinion. My advice, take yourself, or someone you know to be "ordinary" but give them one, simple yet special ability and the desire to do good. That is essentially the basic premise behind a superhero anyways.

Well, that's just my two, but very long cents :)

I have a very idea for idea for a Superhero, was was a regular guy, working at a market. His life surrounds Comics, Videogames, Smoking and thats about it. After his father dies and leaves him behind his Comic book shop, his life begins to change. And after enough stress is put on him, his powers are revealed.

Can this include all graphic novels (not just "hero")?

If so, I dearly want to see Gaiman's "The Sandman" or "Death: High Cost of Living/ Time of your Life" (Burton's been rumouring about it for ages, but nothing yet)

Did they ever make a Deathlock movie? I've always loved this minor character, and loved the back and forther between computer and human.

I want to see a Batgirl movie: not wassername in Batman and Robin (ugh) or the 1966 version-I want the kickbutt version most recently unveiled in the comics-sadly I don't think it will happen.

There are a few super hero stories I could see myself writing, but none of them would have anything to do with actually being "super"

I'd like to see a deep psychological analysis of Batman as a major theme of a Batman film. Not Alfred or one of his girlfriends making a brief comment about how Bruce is the alter ego, but a deep analysis of the psychological foundations of an alter ego. There are 500 comics where he goes to arkham, wouldn't one of the doctors try to help this guy? Wouldn't he in some moment of clarity or great personal sacrifice seek out that kind of help? There is a lot of story to be told there. After all, many people have seen their parents killed, they typically don't go that far off the deep end. Maybe it's not loosing his parents that set him off, maybe it's being a famous billionare when you are still a child, and all the social implications that come with that.

I'd like to see a film about someone born with powers that just doesn't want to be a social exile so they don't do anything with them. How do they keep from getting "outed". This has been touched on quite a bit, but not with any real quality. There is a lot of potential for a gay metaphor or subtext there. You could argue that the entire TV series Smallville has been dedicated to this subject matter, but a TV show aimed at teenage girls is a poor substitute for a serious film

Last but certainly not least I'd like a superman movie to explore some relationship drama between Lois and Superman (besides dragging in a kid that fails to contribute to the story line). I'd like him to bring up the fact that she wouldn't give Clark Kent the time of day. She doesn't like HIM at all, just the cape and the muscles. Doesn't that chap his ass just a little? Is he ever going to bring that up in a movie, and be pissed about it?

Is she ever going to mention the fact that he's not human? How hard is it for a woman to live with a man that has no idea what it's like to ever feel vulnerable, insecure, or sick? There is a whole gamut of human experience about which he can't possibly empethize with her. She can never begin to grasp the enormity of his isolation. Doesn't that wear on her?

Last edited:
There are a few super hero stories I could see myself writing, but none of them would have anything to do with actually being "super"

I'd like to see a deep psychological analysis of Batman as a major theme of a Batman film. Not Alfred or one of his girlfriends making a brief comment about how Bruce is the alter ego, but a deep analysis of the psychological foundations of an alter ego. There are 500 comics where he goes to arkham, wouldn't one of the doctors try to help this guy? Wouldn't he in some moment of clarity or great personal sacrifice seek out that kind of help? There is a lot of story to be told there. After all, many people have seen their parents killed, they typically don't go that far off the deep end. Maybe it's not loosing his parents that set him off, maybe it's being a famous billionare when you are still a child, and all the social implications that come with that.

I'd like to see a film about someone born with powers that just doesn't want to be a social exile so they don't do anything with them. How do they keep from getting "outed". This has been touched on quite a bit, but not with any real quality. There is a lot of potential for a gay metaphor or subtext there. You could argue that the entire TV series Smallville has been dedicated to this subject matter, but a TV show aimed at teenage girls is a poor substitute for a serious film

Last but certainly not least I'd like a superman movie to explore some relationship drama between Lois and Superman (besides dragging in a kid that fails to contribute to the story line). I'd like him to bring up the fact that she wouldn't give Clark Kent the time of day. She doesn't like HIM at all, just the cape and the muscles. Doesn't that chap his ass just a little? Is he ever going to bring that up in a movie, and be pissed about it?

Is she ever going to mention the fact that he's not human? How hard is it for a woman to live with a man that has no idea what it's like to ever feel vulnerable, insecure, or sick? There is a whole gamut of human experience about which he can't possibly empethize with her. She can never begin to grasp the enormity of his isolation. Doesn't that wear on her?

That sounds as though you're asking for a soap opera, I'd sooner see Superman breaking spines for a couple hours rather than the inner turmoil of Lois and her achey-breaky heart.

Superhero movies are clear representations of the secluded individual, the questioning of humanity may be at the core but it's the rise from lonely individual to hero that is so appealing, to spend the film explaining what we can assume within minutes of film would be pointless.

Note that i believe this ONLY for Superhero movies, drown me in the grim of bereavement in any other genre and I'll be hooked.

That sounds as though you're asking for a soap opera, I'd sooner see Superman breaking spines for a couple hours rather than the inner turmoil of Lois and her achey-breaky heart.

Superhero movies are clear representations of the secluded individual, the questioning of humanity may be at the core but it's the rise from lonely individual to hero that is so appealing, to spend the film explaining what we can assume within minutes of film would be pointless.

Note that i believe this ONLY for Superhero movies, drown me in the grim of bereavement in any other genre and I'll be hooked.

Different strokes for different folks. I think there's a place for Iron Man 2 and X-Men 3 just like all other popcorn flicks, but I liked reading watchmen better than watching either of those films. I just like human drama worked in the story somewhere.

The best thing about writing superheros is that they give you carte blanche to create extraordianary conditions around them without needing a full movie to to justify the existence of those conditions. It's a waste to not delve into those conditions at a human level like you would do with any other character.

Honestly, ask yourself, what was better, Jonah Hex or Dark Knight? Hex had way more action and Dark Knight had way more character. Do you have more fond memories of the 3D plane scene from Super Man or Alfred the butler standing around explaining that some people just want to see the world burn?

Different strokes for different folks. I think there's a place for Iron Man 2 and X-Men 3 just like all other popcorn flicks, but I liked reading watchmen better than watching either of those films. I just like human drama worked in the story somewhere.

The best thing about writing superheros is that they give you carte blanche to create extraordianary conditions around them without needing a full movie to to justify the existence of those conditions. It's a waste to not delve into those conditions at a human level like you would do with any other character.

Honestly, ask yourself, what was better, Jonah Hex or Dark Knight? Hex had way more action and Dark Knight had way more character. Do you have more fond memories of the 3D plane scene from Super Man or Alfred the butler standing around explaining that some people just want to see the world burn?

I wholly agree on the watchmen front, I preferred to read than to watch in this case.

I believe it would be a challenge of the highest calibre and of minimal chance to posses and to meet the criteria that super-hero movie-goers expect if your theory was to be done. Although, perhaps it would open the eyes of those wanting the extra depth, perhaps it would gain a bigger audience.

It's a great point, a well valued two-cent.

To be honest Jeremy I read the real wanted comic and all I could remember was the quote.

"I don't f*** goats, I make love to them."

And truthfully people always quote amazing stuff from movies as well. So I think you are absolutely right about focus on character rather action, because it's much more epic.

Interesting enough darkwing, we just made a short film like that.

http://vimeo.com/12778683

Wow! I have to say that was a pretty great short! Very well done. Only thing I'd critique is the fight scene was not very good, but I only say that because the same thing is with my production group. All our fight scenes we do on the spot when really if they were coordinated they would be MUCH better. Fantastic job though, we just finished a 48 hour film festival, being on time constraints is so much fun, but it adds a bit more degree of difficulty.

Back