Super Basic Sound Setup

So hopefully I'll be shooting my first "real" short in a couple of months, and at the moment I'm researching gear. The plan at the moment is to get a GH1, which means I'll definitely need an external mic and recorder. So after some research here and elsewhere, I'm thinking this kind of setup would probably work (the short I'm working on only has speaking parts indoors, so luckily for now outdoor sound isn't an issue):

Rode VideoMic Booming Kit (I've heard the VideoMic mentioned over and over again, and this seems like a good setup)

Zoom H2 (it has an external mic input, as well as headphone out for monitoring, and it can record at 24-bit/96kHz)

I've got some decent noise-canceling, over-ear headphones already (husband's an audiophile).

For around $300, this seems like at least a passable setup. I'm liking the idea of the VideoMic, too, since it could be camera-mounted in a pinch.

So, does anyone else have a better idea for a setup than this that's in roughly the same price range? I'm probably going to be limited to about $400 for audio. Thanks!

Don't do that, even in a pinch.

Add a boom pole and enough cable and you will have a
nice, basic and not to expensive, audio kit.

Let me clarify: I'd still run the sound to an external recorder, but I was thinking if it was super-close-quarters or something, having the otion might be useful. Or is that still an awful idea?

Hey CamVader what do you think about mounting a zoom h1/h2 or even maby a h4 on a boom pole? Recording with the mic on the zoom not a mic pluged in.

You're going backwards, but still better than anything camera mounted. You'll have a wonky headphone set-up from 8-12 feet away which potentially introduces noise that isn't on your recording with no way of knowing on set.

FYI, the Tascam dr-100 has been getting better reviews lately. People love Zooms, though.

People love the Zoom because it was there first and they know the name well, not because it is better (which, in my opinion, it is not). Personally I would go with Tascam, Alesis or Edirol/Roland. I like the builds better (they feel more solid); they're a bit more intuitive and all three companies have much longer histories of making reliable high-end quality products and adapting those concepts for budget users.

You should definitely go with a mic on a boom-pole and a recorder; you'll get much better results.

Just for fun, Zoom products are marketed under the SamsonTech line of products, which is a division of Sam Ash Music (Samson = Sam's Son).

Last edited:
I've got a Zoom H4N; I like it, it does the job, but if I had to buy it again... I wouldn't. The pre-amps are weak, it is not designed for dialogue and the sound level is consequently very low. If I had to go again, and I know it's out of your budget, but I'd push my budget to $550-600, get a Tascam DR-100, an okay Audio Technica shotgun mic, a cheap/DIY boom pole and a shock mount. I'm speaking from a personal perspective, I know, but I was in your position about 8 months ago and this is the fruit of my experience ;)

I purchased a Marantz PDM660 on e-bay for about $250. It records well and looks great. I like the sound better than the Zoom, although my friend who is a sound guy uses the Zoom exclusively and is happy with it, paired with a high quality mic.

I've been keeping an eye out on ebay for a lot of equipment (I'm broke, and will be assembling equipment over the next few months, but total budget for everything is probably going to top out around $1200-$1500, including camera and lenses). I'll add the Marantz to my list of things to search for.

Sound will also be the first thing I upgrade with my current plan of action. I know it's one of the biggest things I notice about a movie in the theater or at home (this is what happens when you're married to an audiophile). You can work with visual issues and make it "stylish" but crappy sound is crappy sound.

Sorry. Right you are. The PMD-660 has been 'replaced' by the 661, but the quality isn't upgraded much by my understanding. One of my directors really wanted to use the Marantz instead of the Zoom, but the sound guy had his preferences.

I purchased the Marantz on the advice of several birders. I like to record bird calls and 'nature ambience' to use in docs and films. I have my own small sound library...

Back