Super-8 Film

Hello! I recently got a Canon 514XL. I was wondering a couple things about film.
Can you use any Super-8 film with it as long as it is super-8? Also, I don't have a projector, and want to be able to get it onto a computer. Is there a way to get it onto a dvd or something like that? Thanks for your help!

'sup, again :cool:

Can you use any Super-8 film with it as long as it is super-8?

Basically, yes. Super-8 is a standardised format, that comes in a cartridge that is specifically shaped to fit in any S8 camera.

You want to avoid old/expired film cartridges - aside from that, you're pretty much good to go.

Fresh stock is available directly from Kodak. Other places, such as Pro8mm (too expensive for my taste) make their own custom stocks, that are cut down from various other sources.

The only problem you'll bump into is the auto-exposure function on many cameras. Reading the "notches" on the side of the cartridges, there used to be a set of exposures that the camera could automatically set itself for. Nowadays, the many new stocks (and exposure choices) can be mis-read, depending on the camera model - so a 500T cartridge might be recognised as a 100T (as example). If there's one thing you'll need to know, it's how to use a light-meter, 'cos you can't trust the camera blindly.

want to be able to get it onto a computer. Is there a way to get it onto a dvd or something like that?

There are many labs that can do that, via a process called Telecine.

There's usually a minimum hourly charge associated with that. At the lab I use, it's not worth 'cining anything less than 4 cartridges at once.

Do some price-checking, and read up on the labs that have been recommended here on the forum.

Good luck with your camera. :)

I've always wondered how customizable super 8 cameras were. I've heard of some having an automatic shutter, but how common was that? I guess I was under the impression that most of them had one fixed shutter speed. Were there any that had adjustable shutter speeds?

I've always wondered how customizable super 8 cameras were. I've heard of some having an automatic shutter, but how common was that? I guess I was under the impression that most of them had one fixed shutter speed. Were there any that had adjustable shutter speeds?
Yes, however it is not as simple as it is with modern cameras, as super 8 cameras have a mechanical and not an electronic shutter, this means that there is a real physical object rotating between lens and filmgate, some cameras had a couple of preset shutter speeds you could choose from (the Canon 814 AZ E for example has 1/58 s at 150°, 1/115 s at 75°, 1/173 s at 37° when running at 24fps); I don't know if this was possible, but I guess you could also take the camera apart and replace the shutter with one of a bigger or smaller angle.

Last edited:
Back