Suggestions for Story Board Software

a quick google search shows about a dozen or so freely available storyboard software packages, from the basic to the advanced 3D' pre vis style.

what i'd like to know is if anyone here has actually used any of them and if so, which would you recommend and why?

preferably free software, but im not saying no to purchasing something if its actually worth it.

software between the ears..

hardware:
images

Im thinking of a hardware upgrade with one of theses...

N5268_L.JPG

I just do schematics.. my perspectives looks lame.. so..

your so hilarious wheatgrinder, and helpful :P

but seriously, anyone who's actually used any storyboard software before care to share their opinions?

I've tried free trials of some of them like Toon Boom and such. One thing I've noticed is that it's really still just as easy/hard as drawing it on paper. They don't come with as many assets so you almost never find the pose you want or the set dressings.

I haven't tried it but I have heard great things about the storyboard software for the iphone/ipad. You can location scout, take a picture of your shot at the location and then insert generated content like people, directional cues. That sort of thing. It looks pretty cool.

I tired the celtex tool, even ordered some of the shapes.. used it a few times.. but just never stuck with it.. . dont know why..
and apologies to the OP, I meant to include this info in my first post, thereby providing SOME useful information instead of being a complete smart a@#%$

On the rare occasions that I'm tasked with drawing story boards, I either go with pen and paper or Photoshop and a graphics tablet… I'm not great at drawing, but it seems much more efficient than trawling through a library of models in various poses.

That said, I draw them as a DoP, not a director, so my focus tends to be on the light, colour and framing rather than subtly positioning the people to show the emotions needed… and I hardly ever bother with faces.

I've also quite a few iPhone apps that have been very useful for taking photos with the correct aspect ratio etc. I too have heard good things about the Toon Boom series, but as Dready says it's not necessarily any faster or easier than wheat's preferred method.

Hey there,
I'm a storyboard artist and i like ToonBoom storyboard pro but really they wont help if u cant draw it on paper first. The only advantage is that u can do an easy animatic with the boards.

GL,
Chris V

You may want to look at Google SketchUp.
Its an easy to use 3D modeling program. What you may find most useful is the Sketchup Warehouse, which contains just about any common object/model/element you could need.

I do 3D work for a living and I recommend this for people new to 3D because it has great integrated tutorials and its easy to learn.

I use it from time to time myself:
cage_4.jpg

I've seen people setup camera angles with it, change the rendering style to something that looks like an ink drawing and print the frames out. After that they just draw characters over the top.

holy crap,.. how long does it take to draw out a single frame this 3d way??

I like the idea of making a 3d model of the area that you're shooting at, and test out angles that way.. its just sounds like lots of time!

Maybe because I never dealt with 3d, besides making blue-prints for engineering..

if your just looking for something you can draw, write, and add angles to..use springboard. it will set up your acts, scenes, and frames then you can convert them into a video (slideshow) and actually see it in motion which is really cool.

dizxfilms.com

Back