• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Suggestions for hanging acoustic blankets

Hey all, I have a need for something to use to hang acoustic blankets. I was going to pick up some backdrop supports, but I have my doubts that they can support the weight... Does anyone know if something like the Impact Pro Backdrop Support Kit can handle all that weight? Or any other suggestion?

As always we need a few more details.

How many sound blankets? (And please don't stretch it/them tight; leaves lots of folds!)
How much do they weigh? (Most run 5lbs. - 10lbs.)
How much area are you trying to control sonically?
What gear do you currently own? (C-Stands, mic stands, extra tripods, etc. What can you adapt?)
What else do you have available? (blankets, quilts, pillows, etc.)

and the most important one...

What is your budget?

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

My first suggestion is to RENT or BORROW.

Second suggestion - Use C-Stands. You can get 48" dowels such as those used for hanging clothes in a closet from Home Depot and similar places for about $3 to $5 each. That could easily handle two or three 10lb. sound blankets. 96" run around $15; should be able to hold four or five 10lb. sound blankets.

You can splurge on some S-Biners or Spring LInks:

stussy-s-biner-carabiner.jpg
DV_WebLarge_P_MH1907.jpg

You can use Zip Ties if your budget is really tight.

I hope this has helped a little.

Peace,

Uncle Bob

As always we need a few more details.

How many sound blankets? (And please don't stretch it/them tight; leaves lots of folds!)
How much do they weigh? (Most run 5lbs. - 10lbs.)
How much area are you trying to control sonically?
What gear do you currently own? (C-Stands, mic stands, extra tripods, etc. What can you adapt?)
What else do you have available? (blankets, quilts, pillows, etc.)

and the most important one...

What is your budget?

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

My first suggestion is to RENT or BORROW.

Second suggestion - Use C-Stands. You can get 48" dowels such as those used for hanging clothes in a closet from Home Depot and similar places for about $3 to $5 each. That could easily handle two or three 10lb. sound blankets. 96" run around $15; should be able to hold four or five 10lb. sound blankets.

You can splurge on some S-Biners or Spring LInks:

stussy-s-biner-carabiner.jpg
DV_WebLarge_P_MH1907.jpg

You can use Zip Ties if your budget is really tight.

I hope this has helped a little.

Peace,

Uncle Bob
I have 4 blankets, about 10lbs each. Just looking to cordon off a small area about 15' square (against a corner) and keep the reverb from taking over completely (it's a big empty room otherwise). I have a couple of C stands, but I am not against investing in another couple. Budget is as small as possible (when isn't it) but if there is something great I would be willing to invest! The dowel idea is great, I hadn't thought of that!

Uncle Bob is very helpful.

I have a couple of C stands, but I am not against investing in another couple. Budget is as small as possible (when isn't it) but if there is something great I would be willing to invest! The dowel idea is great, I hadn't thought of that!

I'm the an ace at going very low budget on sound. It's not about the gear, it's about how you use it. Knowledge of sound/acoustics fundamentals will suggest micro budget solutions, but will take a bit more effort.

IMHO, invest in some GOOD C-stands. They are something that you can always use. "Tech" is always in flux; I don't think they'll improve the C-stand much in the next 30 years.

Just looking to cordon off a small area about 15' square (against a corner) and keep the reverb from taking over completely (it's a big empty room otherwise).

Well, rule number one is get the mic(s) in as tight as possible.

I'll assume that, for example, its a 30x30 space, and you are trying to "close off" a 15x15 corner section sonically. The issue is how you define "shooting in a corner." Could you visually shoot facing away from the corner? Does it matter if we see the sound absorption/deflection?

I need a lot more details. What kind of audio gear are you using? Who is running it? What are you trying to shoot?

Peace,

Uncle Bob

Back