Stuff in the Backgound

I was on a shoot today where shit in the background kept popping up. You know, stuff that shouldn't be in the shot, BUT IS!

I have a behind the shoulder shot with a C-stand clearly visible. Did I see it? Nooo!

Give me your best "production shit in the shot" story and win a toaster, mine...:D

This is a foreground blunder.

Nancy is a naïve Midwestern girl. She has to change her bra. With her back to the camera, she removes her dress. All you see is naked back and panties. The actress never listened to me about anything. She’s wearing a bright blue pair of fuck me panties. Incredibly it has the white label on the outside.

I told her Nancy wouldn’t wear that type of panties. But, she didn’t have anything else to change into. Since she’d be sweating in them all day long, I didn’t tell her that the label was on the outside. If they were on inside out, I didn’t want her flipping them around.

Besides the awful choice of style, she chose a pair where a portion of viewers will be wondering if she’s wearing her panties inside out. What astounded me is no one else in the room even noticed.

Here's another one. I have no idea who the heck this guy is in the background, but could you find a better character from central casting? This short is a dog, so I'll be leaving him in.

picture.php

I produced and DPed for our team for the 48HFP last weekend. Our location was at a bar, and throughout the film the two main characters are sitting at the bar with the rest of the place visible behind them. We had random crew members dancing and interacting to keep things interesting, but towards the end a girl fell asleep on a couch in plain view. The genre was comedy and in the script the bar was about to close, so we decided to leave her in for the shot. It was pretty dark back there, so she might just blend in; I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen tomorrow.

I produced and DPed for our team for the 48HFP last weekend. Our location was at a bar, and throughout the film the two main characters are sitting at the bar with the rest of the place visible behind them. We had random crew members dancing and interacting to keep things interesting, but towards the end a girl fell asleep on a couch in plain view. The genre was comedy and in the script the bar was about to close, so we decided to leave her in for the shot. It was pretty dark back there, so she might just blend in; I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen tomorrow.

Like I was saying, most folks just accept it as that's how it's supposed to be.

My 48 hour project was cancelled. :( It was supposed to start Friday night. Not the whole project, just mine.

I don't think the C-Stand is that big of a problem from the picture you showed.

Seriously? There's a big thick blue wire attached to a pole directly behind him. That's a problem that should never be overlooked.

I don't know how the scene was shot. But, imagine if there's a wide shot of the two and there's no pole and wire. Then in the over the shoulder there is. Regardless that's a pretty big error.

OP "Should I keep it in?": Only if you don't care what shots you put in the movie.

Seriously? There's a big thick blue wire attached to a pole directly behind him. That's a problem that should never be overlooked.

I don't know how the scene was shot. But, imagine if there's a wide shot of the two and there's no pole and wire. Then in the over the shoulder there is. Regardless that's a pretty big error.

OP "Should I keep it in?": Only if you don't care what shots you put in the movie.

It will be pretty obvious if he's cutting from other shots without anything behind him. Seems like a great time to learn After Effects to me...

It's all about context. This is a silly little movie, and the widest shot in that scene doesn't show it because it's not wide enough.

Sure, it's a pretty big error if I were shooting something with a budget and had some (any) help, but resist the urge to take yourself too seriously. I posted the pic to make fun of myself, not to fuel your canned outrage.

My apologies.

In my very first short, we had a security cam type shot, so we ducktaped a Flip Video to the chandelier above the table everyone was sitting at. We didn't realize it took up about 1/4 of the top of the shot, and we didn't zoom in enough, until later. And, we couldn't really crop it out because the main character's dramatic entrance was directly in front of it, cropped, you saw his lower half. Not so epic

EDIT:
Another bad one..

In my most recent film we were pretty deep in the woods filming an adventure film. As our hero walks through the misty forest (lots of dry ice), someone walking their golden retriever sneaks past on the path in the background.

Last edited:
There was a thread like this a while back. I posted some pics, with After Effects doctoring to remove the stuff.

BEFORE:

73955_10150300860155494_603930493_15625886_6576664_n.jpg

AFTER:

73955_10150300860160494_603930493_15625887_2873593_n.jpg

BEFORE:

73955_10150300860145494_603930493_15625884_2944184_n.jpg

AFTER:

73955_10150300860150494_603930493_15625885_8236925_n.jpg

That's me in the shot, BTW. At least I wasn't responsible for that one! Anyways, errors like these happen to the best of us. If they haven't, you need to work on more movies. :lol:

Last edited:
It's all about context. This is a silly little movie, and the widest shot in that scene doesn't show it because it's not wide enough.

Sure, it's a pretty big error if I were shooting something with a budget and had some (any) help, but resist the urge to take yourself too seriously. I posted the pic to make fun of myself, not to fuel your canned outrage.

My apologies.

Hey, my outrage is anything but canned. It's bottled in big jugs.

Steve, that story is hilarious.

I could post a good amount of the Wickerman footage we shot a few weeks ago. It's like the book "Where's Waldo". Only it's "Where's Brian, Steve and Jeff?"

Yes, there are some frames with all three of us in the shot. :D Polish firing squad indeed! My bad, my bad...

Yep, this is what seems to happen on my shoots. Except I have a tendency to show up in reflections. I can think of at least five instances in which you can see me in some random reflection, in "Antihero".

Back