1x Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores / 6 Threads, 2.8 - 4.0GHz
1x Stock Cooler
1x Gigabyte B360M-DS3H Motherboard
4x 8 GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
1x FSP Premium Grade 600W PSU
1x MSI 970GTX
1x 250gb SSD
1x 480gb M.2

Currently I am making lots of estate agent video tours. I am using after effects to make my videos as I prefer the workflow and I am being really bogged down in preview rendering and exporting via media encoder .

Through media encoder a Youtube1080 video is taking 30mins
To quarter quality preview render in AE for a 2 - 4 min video is taking 10mins
If I run it at full quality it will struggle to render the whole thing and will have a mix of blue and green.
I tend to only make 3 minute videos for the majority of my tasks
I play back in quarter quality
Work in 1080 with 1080 footage from a DSLR
I don't use proxies as they take more time to process than it does for me to make the videos
I don't use fancy transitions
I use adjustment layers
Using the latest update of After Effects CC (updated June 20th)
I dedicate all bar 5gbs of RAM to it and do not run anything else at the same time. Or if I do I close it to render.
During processing the CPU is about 61% and the memory is about 58%.

Now the question is have I got something setup wrong here or am I being throttled by the CPU?

If it is the later over the former if I get a new cpu would you go?

i7 10700k or Ryzen?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I dont understand. Is there some sort of problem?

My guess is that its taking a long time to render but you didnt mention a thing about how long anything takes

Last edited:
I have just updated my original post.

Awesome people will be able to help you now with this context.

These are my computer specs.
Motherboard:
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

One Graphics Card:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M, Asynch Fan, Optimized Airflow Design Graphics Card 11G-P4-6593-KR

Processor:
Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)

Ram:
4x Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT16G4DFD824A

I estimate that I would render a 3 minute 1080p video in about 2-3 minutes.

After Effects renders slower than an editing programs. A typical trick is to add it to a render queue and let it render overnight so you don't care how long it takes.

I haven't used After Effects for a couple of years.... but.

Performance used to be limited primarily to 4 cores. I'm not sure if that's still the case. If that's still the case, you have a 6 core CPU, only 4 will really handle most of the load. Bench mark for it has you at about 9100 across 6 cores. The i7-10700k has a rating of almost 20000 over 8 cores. You should get it working faster by about 70-80%.

If I'm reading your post right, a cheaper solution might be more ram. Peronally I'd try upping it to 16gig ram first and see if that gets it to the speed you're happy with.

Back