• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

strong morning light

hey dudes,

working on a short with a bedroom scene that's supposed to be set early in the morning. any suggestions on how to get a good strong morning light effect? Like a real yellow orange you get just after dawn/before dusk. I'm looking for a youtube vid to show what I mean but haven't found one yet.

cheers,
seb.

Perhaps haze the room and then shine something strong and directional through the window - a 1K Par can with a 1/4 CTO or similar could do it.

What lights do you have access to? If the room is large enough, you might be able to imply the window light with lights inside, and save rigging outside.

the room will be pretty large, so I think we can rig inside. I hire all my lights from school, they have a bit of a range there. from memory I think they might have a 1k fresnel, but I'd have to check. could it be done with weaker lights if necessary?

p.s. how will hazing the room help??

cheers!
seb.

something about morning and haze go together... also it lets you SEE the angle of the light rays.. if you put a cookie in front of the light.. you'll get some nice looks.

I think the haze and morning thing is rooted in some deep physiological shared experience. Perhaps its gene memory calling back to some primordial beginning. Mornings on the seashore are frequently hazy, foggy, the air is full of mist until the "mid morning burn off" .. so maybe its a California beach thing that has found its way into cinema by Hollywood's proximity to the beach. What ever the cause, it seems to work.

(FYI: I just made that all up, but it sounds good..)

does your school have any HMI lights? if your doing morning your going to want to have like a hard sunlight color maybe with the shadows of blinds or a window frame on the wall or the bed.

search 'polcan99' on youtube. his tutorial explains exactly this scene, can't remember which exactly, probably 7 or 8 not sure. i was impressed with the way he used the lights in a morning scene.

Back